Juniors and seniors spend a night in the lights

Nicole Fang

Senior Nicole Fang is one of many RM students attending the dance with a date.

RM hosted prom on Saturday, May 21, from 8:00-11:30 p.m. The theme was a night of a thousand lights, featuring luminescent decorations and ambiance. The prom was held at the Hilton located on Rockville Pike. Tickets went on sale during lunch for seniors on May 3, and were made available for juniors on May 6.

Students were required to pay all outstanding obligations- missing textbooks and other school materials- before they were allowed to purchase tickets.

Only seniors were permitted to bring outside guests, and each student who was interested in purchasing a guest ticket had to complete specialized paperwork. These forms could be found on the senior bulletin board near the library on Main Street.

“Ticket sales went great, we ended up selling just under 600,” health teacher and prom coordinator Aryn Wheeler said. “So it’s a great number of seniors and juniors who will be attending prom this year.”

Students were reminded to arrive at the prom with their ticket and ID to get in. No outside bags were allowed, and there was no coat check or location to store extra belongings. While refreshments are provided at the event, no outside food or drink was allowed.

Following the conclusion of the event, the PTSA hosted a 100% alcohol and drug free post prom, from 12:00-4:00a.m. at the Dave and Buster’s in Gaithersburg.

Tickets are $20, and could be purchased online. The cost covers a $20 preload D&B card, buffet, soda, video games, live entertainment and raffles.

“It’s so nice to be getting back to normal after not having a prom for the past two years,” Wheeler said. “The kids seem very excited to have one this year, and I can’t wait to see the seniors come together one last time outside of school to celebrate the end of their high school careers.”