Rockville rink reopens for the holiday season

Photo courtesy of The MoCo Show

The Rockville Town Square Ice Skating Rink, a popular attraction for local residents and students alike, recently reopened in time for the holiday season.

As winter is approaching, many local seasonal activities have started up. One of the main attractions near Richard Montgomery is the ice skating rink in Rockville Town Center, which has recently reopened, and is scheduled to stay open until March 20 of next year. 

Normal opening hours at the rink are from noon to 10 p.m. on weekdays, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays. On Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day, the rink will be open from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. 

To skate at the rink this year, reservations are required in advance; admission costs $11 per adult and $10 per child or senior, and skate rentals cost $5. Each ticket can be used for up to 1 hour and 20 minutes of skating. 

While skating, visitors can enjoy looking at the various new decorations in the town center, such as its festive lights and oversized Christmas tree right across from the rink, with lights that periodically change colors. Many of the restaurants and stores in the town center also feature holiday-themed ornaments.

“I came here to ice skate and celebrate my friend’s birthday,” Nashrah Rahman, a freshman at the University of Maryland, said. “The Christmas lights are so fun and pretty with nice colors…the whole place itself is vibey.” 

As it is a convenient location, many RM students are looking forward to visiting the ice skating rink as well. “I think it’s a nice way to spend an afternoon with friends,” sophomore Michelle Yu said. “There’s a lot of restaurants nearby too, so one could definitely go skating, then grab dinner or just find a place to warm up…I might consider going, but I’m not sure yet. It’s definitely something I plan to do at least once while I’m at RM.” 

Although visitors are expected to social distance, the rink does not mandate masks. “At the same time, COVID is still a problem, so the rink reopening has brought out a huge amount of people in the same general space, which can be concerning,” sophomore Joy Jiang said. 

To address COVID concerns, the rink has instituted a new online reservation policy, aimed at decreasing the total number of people on the ice. Skaters must make online reservations, available in five minute increments, prior to their arrival.

Overall, the reopening of the Rockville ice rink provides an opportunity for students, friends, and families in the community to spend time together and enjoy the holidays this year.

“It’s a huge boost for holiday spirit in general, which I think is something that has been really lacking this year,” Jiang said. “It’s nice to see everyone, from adults to children, enjoying the holidays and activities now that they’ve come.”