Football’s secret weapon

A Friday night home game. Floodlights illuminate the turf, and music blasts from the stadium speakers before kickoff. From the stands, we applaud and cheer football players, athletes who have practiced hard day after day to beat our rival schools. But with every winning team comes a hardworking group of people that supports the team behind the scenes.

Scott Sindair, a sophomore, is a student assistant on the football team. “During the first half of the practice I usually help out with the equipment, and wherever else I can. During the games, I work with the equipment, film, and supporting the team on the sidelines.”

This is not Sindair’s first time being a student assistant. He recently moved to Maryland from Los Angeles, California. “I was the student assistant for six weeks before I moved here, but I was considered the water boy,” said Sindair.

The term “water boy” does not give student assistants the respect they deserve.  Given Sindair’s responsibilities and his place in the Rocket football family, in no way is his job less important than that of an actual football player.

“It seems like all the coaches and players respect me, and I respect them too,” Sindair reflected. “Everyone is really nice to me, and they all ask questions about my personal life. It makes me really want to talk to them ands get to know them more, too.”

The team has taken Scotty in with open arms. Being new to a school can be difficult, especially when you do not know anyone. Joining the team made Scotty’s transition to a new school easier. “I met a ton of people right away, and I even sit with the football players at lunch,” said Sindair.

Initially, Scotty was reluctant to take his first position as student assistant. His P.E. teacher, who was also one of the football coaches, first gave him the idea. “At first I was very nervous about joining the team because I had never been a part of a team before. I had no idea what I would be doing and how I would be doing it,” said Sindair.

“My first intention was to decline the offer, but after talking to my parents a little bit, I realized it was a great idea to at least try. Now, it’s great.” By taking a chance with this opportunity, Sindair has enhanced his managing and filming skills. On his first day of filming, Sindair recalled: “Coach Klotz told me everything I have to do with the camera, but I was sure I would be a disaster. That I wouldn’t be able to film much, or I wouldn’t be able to film well.”

Practice certainly must make perfect, because now Scotty is knowledgeable and confident about filming. “I really enjoy filming. I had never really filmed anything before, but after the first day I realized it was my thing, and I became really good at it.” Sindair has also realized that a positive attitude does not just help players win games – it also helps him to best help his teammates during practices.

Scotty has also been eagerly anticipating future games, and could not help but mention the Rockets’ winning streak. “I am very glad and grateful that they are undefeated right now; let’s hope we can keep that up,” said Sindair. “We all want to enjoy the feeling of winning for as long as we can.”

Article by Fatmata Barrie and Semret Hailie