Movie review: The Martian

When NASA reported that flowing water had been found on Mars, many noticed the coincidental timing with the release of Ridley Scott’s “The Martian.” Whether or not that affected the astounding $277.7 million global intake of the film is unknown, but even without the possible boost, it would have succeeded. “The Martian” is irresistible.

Based faithfully on Andy Weir’s novel of the same name, “The Martian” tells the story of Mark Watney (Matt Damon, brilliant), an astronaut left behind on inhospitable Mars by his crewmembers when they believe he has been killed by a devastating storm. However, he is very much alive – and wisecracking. Meanwhile, back on Earth, NASA races to find a way to rescue him before his food supply runs out and he dies – for real.

How does Watney keep himself alive for over a year on a planet where nothing grows? Well, as he put it, he is “gonna have to science the s*** out of this.” And there is plenty of science in this film.

But fortunately for those of who do not understand the intricacies of engineering or botany, the actual science explanations are kept to a minimum (though these omissions may disappoint some fans of the novel.) Yet viewers can still appreciate the great things that Watney achieves. What they can also appreciate is Damon’s portrayal of Watney – witty, layered, tense, but always superb.

In fact, all of the actors give their best to the roles they play, and they succeed. The technical elements are excellent as well, especially the cinematography and special effects. Mars may be desolate, but through the lens of Ridley Scott’s camera, it is a beautiful badlands.

What else makes this film special is its realism – set 20 years in the future, a similar mission could feasibly occur in our lifetime, “although hopefully we won’t leave a guy on Mars”, said sophomore Ryla Cantergiani. She continued, “it’s the kind of story that provides just enough panic, drama, devastation, and hope that leads to satisfying film,” and also has an optimism that many movies today lack.

Whether viewers are extreme science fans or just a casual moviegoers, “The Martian” is sure to leave audiences awestruck (despite some scientific discrepancies.) Perhaps it should aim not only to bring Mark Watney home, but to bring an Oscar to Matt Damon and the rest of the stellar crew who created this masterpiece.

Click here to view showtimes near Rockville for “The Martian”