RM volleyball tops Northwood, wins fifth straight

Richard Montgomery girls’ volleyball extends their winning streak to five games after they defeated Northwood High School in straight sets on Thursday night. The dominant performance from the Rockets allowed for a real rotation in the squad, showing the depth the team has.

Northwood never seriously threatened in the match, and the Rockets proved their mettle from the first lineup to the substitutes. “Every single player on our team is capable and they all bring something new to our team,” senior Linda Qiu said. The first set was won 25-4, and the Rockets never let up from there, winning 25-15 and 25-14 in the final two sets.

The fast start from the Rockets was a key point in practice over the week. Last Monday against BCC, the Rockets had dropped the second set after a strong first set win. Staying on attack is a good sign for the Rockets moving forward, and the whole team feels the momentum. “The best part is […] going back into practice the next day with positive mind sets to work even harder to keep our winning streak going,” sophomore Katie Serway said.

The Rockets face Blair on Tuesday, RM’s toughest test yet. “It’s very important that we take all the momentum we have to the Blair game because Blair has always been a scrappy team,” senior Abby Hernandez. “We have to make sure we don’t underestimate them and play our hearts out.”