Amazon, choose us!

Faith Cheung

That seemingly omnipresent mobile commerce company, Amazon, has been on the search for a suitable location for its second headquarters. On January 18th, they finally revealed the heavily anticipated shortlist of regions in the running as candidates. Some of the locations were expected, such as big cities like Los Angeles, New York or Miami. Others were more unexpected, such as Nashville or Newark. However, Nashville is not the wild card here. Somehow, our very own Montgomery County has made it on the list.

Montgomery County is not a renowned location, nor does it have the grandeur often associated with big cities. However, our relative lack of prominence did not seem to undermine our bid for the candidacy. According to an article by Bethesda Magazine, “Montgomery County’s bid to lure Amazon’s second headquarters highlighted the area’s highly educated workforce, transportation network and internet connectivity.” Boasting a high population of educated workers and good school districts, Montgomery County has shown Amazon that we are a location that will benefit them in a long run.

This gives us an advantage over areas that might seem like a better choice, such as Chicago. Whereas at first glance it makes perfect sense for Amazon’s second headquarters to be based in a more urban area, the Windy City may not be the way to go. Lewis Lazare from Chicago Business Journal states that “Amazon HQ2 (2nd headquarters) won’t be Chicago’s to get because of all the already well-covered reasons, including crime, corruption, debt, taxes, weather and a workforce that may be big, but certainly not as bright as the hype would have you believe.” And it’s not just Chicago. After all, it’s generally known that beyond that sparkling skyline, big cities are often hubs of far from glamorous issues such as economic inequality, discrimination, and more.

County Executive Ike Leggett has named the White Flint mall area on Rockville Pike as the potential site of Amazon’s second headquarters. It consists of 45 acres, enough to host a large company’s headquarters. Furthermore, there is easy access to two of the nation’s largest airports, Dulles and BWI, as well as a large amount of metro and bus stations nearby.

“Our tight community, developed infrastructure and good economy will serve as an excellent location for Amazon’s headquarters. Those are the most important components for a company and conveniently, Montgomery County holds them all”, said freshman Michelle Zhao.

Montgomery County is the perfect location for Amazon’s second headquarters. It has everything a booming business needs, from a educated and friendly local populace to a sprawling and accessible network of local transportation. Although it lacks the allure of glimmering skyscrapers and flashing night lights, our comfortable suburbs and cohesive community will do just fine.

1 Comment

One Response to “Amazon, choose us!”

1. Robert on March 25th, 2018 4:56 am

FYI — here are the 20 regions on Amazon’s shortlist:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Austin, Texas
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Chicago, Illinois
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dallas, Texas
    Denver, Colorado
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Los Angeles, California
    Miami, Florida
    Montgomery County, Maryland
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Newark, New Jersey
    New York City, New York
    Northern Virginia, Virginia
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Toronto, Ontario
    Washington, D.C.
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/18/technology/amazon-second-headquarters-list/index.html?iid=EL

• As mentioned in this Forbes article, Austin has to be considered a major candidate. “Credit ratings firm Moody’s ranked Austin as the best candidate based on its labor pool, cost of doing business and quality of life.” https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/10/24/where-should-amazon-locate-their-new-headquarter-three-experts-weigh-in/#2f890c6241da
    • Texas is listed as the best state for business while Maryland ranks 41st. If Amazon insists on moving to the east coast, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina are all in the top ten. https://chiefexecutive.net/2017-best-worst-states-business/
    • Apparently, the people who run the Maryland state government either do not know how to make the state more business friendly or they do not care. Both are disturbing. If Maryland’s goal is to become unfriendly to business, it has reached its goal. Who know – in a few years it might even replace California as the worst state for business.

But let’s say that – by some “miracle” – Amazon does select Maryland. I can visualize a group of engineers and techs taking a drive into downtown Baltimore to see the sights. When they return to work after their little tour of Mobtown (https://www.tripsavvy.com/nicknames-for-baltimore-308028), they are certain to warn their colleagues about Baltimore.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

The US must take action in the South China Sea

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

The cost of the late bus

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

Why 8th graders should choose RMIB

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

PyeongChang Winter Olympics: a missed opportunity for NHL players

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

Standardized education is a necessary evil

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital undermines peace in the Middle East

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

Why Oprah 2020 is Detrimental to U.S. Politics

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

Death with dignity: The controversy over assisted suicide

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

Trump’s detrimental climate change policy

• Amazon, choose us!

Opinions

How we should improve natural disaster relief

Amazon, choose us!