Wrestling gets their first win of the season over Wheaton

GPS

On Wednesday, December 13, the RM varsity wrestling team traveled to Wheaton for their away match against the Knights. Despite multiple forfeits due to missing players, the team was still able to squeeze out with a narrow victory, 40-39.

The boys got off to a rocky start in the beginning of the match. Senior captain Baiquni Iman-Santoso was unable to wrestle, causing the Rockets to forfeit their first match. Wheaton then followed up with a pin in the next match, stretching their lead to 12-0.

However, the Rockets managed to regain their fighting spirit and make the rest of the match very competitive. After 4 matches, the score sat at 24-12 in favor of the Knights, with both sides earning 2 pins and the Rockets giving up another forfeit. Senior captain Justin Gillchrist won his match off points, but a third forfeit from the team solidified Wheaton’s lead to 30-16.

The boys tried to regroup as they cheered on freshman Justin Steele in his first match on varsity. Steele struggled throughout the majority of the match, but managed to turn things around in the last few minutes of the game, resulting in a pin for RM as well as Steele’s first varsity win. Steele’s huge victory was momentous; it started to shift the tide of the match in favor of the Rockets.

Reinvigorated by Steele’s wrestling, the boys got onto the mat with renewed strength and confidence. The Rockets pinned the next three of their opponents in quick succession, finally taking the lead with a score of 40-30.

Gillchrist attributed the Rockets’ win to their perseverance and will to win, saying, “All of our wrestlers came out today with a fighting spirit and didn’t give up.” Coach James also noted a change in preparation, saying, “the team won today because they practiced harder”.

Despite their victory against Wheaton, the team’s focus remains on improving themselves for their next match. “ Myself, individually, I have to work on my endurance,” explained Gillchrist. “As a team, I would say the main thing we need to work on is setting up our shots, setting up our moves, and improving our fundamentals.” 

One thing Gillchrist especially wanted to address was development of the many talented, but inexperienced wrestlers on the team this year. “We have a lot of new members who don’t know too much about the sport,” Gillchrist explained, “sometimes we’re too goofy in practice.”

Yet, he also felt that if anything, the Rockets are defined by their readiness to adapt and accept fresh faces. “We welcome every new member and teach everyone no matter their experience,” remarked Gillchrist.

The Rockets will continue training hard for their next match against the Seneca Valley Eagles.

Featured photo by Michael Pan