Despite 5-1 loss, RM field hockey scares Whitman toothless

After an exhilarating win against Walter Johnson in 2-1 overtime, it was time for the RM field hockey team to face another challenge in their division.  As the humid and cloudy sky cast over the field, neon pink socks brought attention to none other than the undefeated Whitman Vikings themselves.

It was their breast cancer awareness game, and Whitman had a buzzing crowd.

At the whistle, the Vikings stole possession and carried the ball deep into RM’s territory. Whitman’s quick passes allowed them to weave between the Rocket defense and into scoring position. A fatal Viking pass across the goal found a deflection as well as the back of the netting, and RM’s unsuspecting defense could not react fast enough.

After a Rocket time out, new players were brought into the game, ignited with frustration following the Vikings first goal. The whistle blew and the girls were off, keeping the Vikings at bay as defense tightened up. “We had to make sure we were communicating. It really helped us stop some of [Whitman’s] efforts,” said junior Lily Merritt.

The Rockets huddled together at the half, encouraged by their ability to ward away Whitman’s attacks. Each teammate chimed in toward a chorus of constructive criticism. While the Vikings had success carrying the ball through the middle of the field, RM agreed they would have to take to the sidelines for a chance to reach the circle.

The girls took their positions, eager to employ the strategy they had discussed. However, the Vikings had a different idea in mind, and pressured the Rockets with their speed and agility. Whitman’s well-timed blocks and accurate hits sent the ball spiraling toward another goal, just out of reach of RM’s defense.

While the relentless Vikings offense never let up, the Rockets had very few opportunities to strike back. “The ball just never got up the field,” recalled senior Emily Conway. After so many games on their own turf, RM struggled to maintain possession on the coarse grass of Whitman’s field.

The Rockets yet found their way, easing into the Viking’s circle and a penalty corner was drawn. Whitman set up carefully, and the ball was inserted. Senior Ella Scarano took a shot towards sophomore Caroline Maggio, who waited at stroke to tap it in. It was 2-1, and RM was still in the game.

With the Vikings aggravated and RM ready for more, it was an intense second half. Scarano brought the ball down the field as a Viking horned in her path. Stick-to-stick, Scarano made her way around one Whitman player only to get trapped once more.

The silent game turned rowdy when a screech sounded from the defender Scarano had left in the dust. She was scrambling on the ground, searching.

For what?

A tooth, the girl shouted. Half of her front tooth was chipped clean off–nevertheless, with the trainer by her side, the Whitman player walked off the field, giddy.

The Rockets played fiercely and fast, yet the Vikings surpassed. The game continued, back and forth, but with the Whitman speed and skill, they managed to put up three more goals before the final horn sounded.

RM trudged off the field, averting their eyes to the bright 5-1 that was plastered across the Whitman scoreboard. “We need to work on working as a team while moving the ball up the field.” said senior Emily Conway.

The 5-5 Rockets will face Northwood on Wednesday at 5:30 for their annual Senior Night game.