IB Big Sibs help Little Sibs adjust to high school and the magnet program

The cafeteria was packed with toga-clad seniors and freshmen sitting on the floor in small circles. This was the site of the IB Big Siblings social, which took place in the cafeteria during seventh period on Tuesday, October 3. IB seniors took on the role of Big Siblings for magnet freshmen to help them adjust to high school and RM’s magnet/International Baccalaureate program.

Unlike in previous years, this year’s IB Big Sib program was student-organized.  Over the summer, senior Ami Wong emailed the new IB coordinator Ms. Nancy Shay about the possibility of starting the Big Sib program this year. “When we were in freshman year, the Big Sib program helped us bond with other people, so I thought the program would help the freshmen get to know each other,” Wong said.  “Also, a lot of the seniors I know really wanted to be Big Sibs, myself included, so I felt the need to make that happen.”

After an initial meeting with Ms. Shay, Wong and some of her friends, Rachel Li, Alythia Vo, Alisa Gao, Cindy Song, and Evelyn Sturrock, began to organize the program. “My decision to have students organize it rather than the IB office doing it is based on IB principles,” Ms. Shay said. “It seemed like a wonderful Creativity, Action, and Service (CAS) opportunity.”

Both Ms. Shay and the seniors hope that the program can help ease the freshmen’s transition into high school. “High school is hard and the goal that I want the Big Sibs program to achieve the most is just helping the freshmen get afoot in high school and make new friends,” Wong said.

After sending out a Google Form sign-up to all IB seniors, the senior organizers created a list of Big Sib-Little Sib group pairings. 74 IB seniors signed up to be Big Sibs for the 134 incoming magnet freshmen, resulting in 24 groups with three Big Sibs and five to six Little Sibs per group.

Many seniors signed up to be Big Sibs because they remembered having Big Sibs their freshman year and found the experience very helpful. “My Big Sibs helped me assimilate to IB culture and get used to the workload and the stress,” senior Heather Konan said. “It was really helpful having them talk about their experience and reassure us that they were willing to help us,” senior Alexandra Mao added.

During the social, Big Sibs played icebreaker games with and gave advice to their Little Sibs. “I liked seeing freshmen and seniors alike unite around the game Where the Big Wind Blows,” senior Josh Levy said. “We told them to push through because after first semester, you get it,” Konan said. “And to become friends with everyone and join clubs.”

Photo courtesy of Joseph Jelen

As for the rest of the school year, Big Sibs are required to meet with their Little Sibs at least once per quarter. “I believe it would be very lovely for us to go bowling,” Levy said.

“Hopefully we can connect through social media and we’ll help them if they need help with anything,” Konan added. “I would be willing to edit Little Sibs’ essays.”

The freshmen also look forward to the future of Big Sibs. “I want to have someone to ask for advice because they’ve already been through the high school experience,” freshman Alexandra Thalberg said.  “I want to learn more about how to get through IB, since we don’t know much about the actual program yet,” freshman Corinne Hanway added.

Whatever the future holds, freshman and seniors alike share the same hope: to begin a path of friendship, mentorship and support.

Featured photo courtesy of Joseph Jelen