RM field hockey snags OT win against Walter Johnson

As the trees began to brown and a fall chill settled in over Montgomery County, the Richard Montgomery field hockey team would face one of its toughest opponents so far this season — the Walter Johnson Wildcats.

After handing the Rockets several close losses in previous seasons, Walter Johnson was predicted to be a challenging match-up. An intimidating reputation as a “W” school placed the Wildcats among other high school field hockey powerhouses such as Wootton, Whitman, and Winston Churchill.

WJ went to work quickly at the sound of the whistle. The Wildcats robbed the Rockets of possession and sprinted down the field, their swift passes around the circle causing trouble for the RM defense. Within minutes, Walter Johnson was on the board.

“It was definitely a slap in the face,” said junior Lily Merritt. “It forced us to pay attention and bounce back.”

The Rockets recovered quickly from the damage despite the Wildcats’ early aggression. RM’s defense shifted to a man-on-man strategy, allowing the ball to weave its way deep into WJ territory. After the Rockets managed a series of threatening shots on goal, the seemingly desperate Wildcats resorted to subtle foul play. RM pushed back in retaliation and the heat between the teams intensified.

RM’s halftime talk was charged with positive energy and encouragement, and when they took the field for the final minutes, the team was steaming.

“We knew we could beat them,” insisted head coach Alie Brooks. “Every year I’ve coached it has always been a narrow loss, and this year especially the team was focused.”

The Wildcats were taken aback by the Rockets’ controlled hostility, and RM took that to their advantage. Captain Rosa Boehler dribbled through WJ with ease and sent in a pass that senior Ella Scarano caught mid-bounce, drilling it straight into the back of the goal.

Contrary to last year, when RM would burn out within the first ten minutes of the game, this season’s well-conditioned Rockets had been more of a second-half team, playing harder and more consistently in the end than many of their opponents.

The game was tied 1-1, but neither team would back down. WJ held possession for the majority of the second part of the game, but RM’s solid defense stuffed every attempt for a goal.

It was a riveting, back-and-forth half, and as the horn blew, the teams trudged off the field, exhausted, to prepare for what would be RM’s second overtime game this season.

Coach Brooks understood that the game would be won with endurance. While crafting her shortened 7-player line-up, she told each athlete to be prepared for quick substitutions in at a moment’s notice to preserve the team’s energy on the field. As the 10-minute sudden-death period commenced, the Rockets were nothing but confident in their chances.

RM was given possession, and the ball remained well into the Wildcats’ domain. Merritt executed a smooth block-tackle by the sideline, leaving a WJ forward stumbling in her wake. Breaking away, Merritt propelled the ball toward Boehler, who awaited the pass, positioned eagerly at the mouth of the goal. Boehler’s perfect aim sent the ball spiraling toward the corner of the goal, just beyond the reach of the goalie and Wildcat defenders.

Walter Johnson was crushed as the Rockets stormed the field, triumphant in the win they had been waiting on for years.

“It was my own personal goal to beat them at least once, because I’ve always know it was possible,” said Merritt. “But WJ is nothing compared to Whitman — that’s where we’re really going to have to step it up.”

Now 3-4, the Rockets will travel to play the Walt Whitman Vikings this Thursday in what will likely be a competitive matchup.