The Grammys celebrate excellence in music

The 2017 Grammys will definitely go down in history. The show featured stunning performances, controversial winners, and touching tributes.

Adele and Beyonce, two of the biggest stars in the contemporary music world, went head to head in every major category.

Beyonce boasted nine nominations, the most of any artist this year, but only won two of them. Adele was nominated for five awards, and won all five of them. In her acceptance speech for Album of the Year, Adele tearfully told Beyonce of her love for Beyonce’s album, Lemonade, and its empowering messages.

The general public has questioned the Grammy’s selection process, because of its tendency to favor white artists in the top four categories. The controversial issue of racism in the Grammys is a prevalent topic, and Adele appeared to share the critics’ feelings as she praised Beyonce onstage and backstage.

Both women delivered amazing performances during show. Adele showed the power of her voice in “Hello”, and sang a tribute to English singer, George Michael. While she had to restart her performance of the song, “Fastlove,” the audience continued to support her and cheered her on.

Beyonce delivered an outstanding performance, dressing up as a fertility goddess with her pregnant belly emphasized in her sparkling gold, sheer gown. Beyonce performed “Love Drought” and “Sandcastles.”

Another highlight was Chance the Rapper’s win as Best New Artist. His music is only available on streaming services, and he petitioned the Recording Academy to change the rules for this year’s Grammys to allow streaming-only songs to be eligible for award consideration.

Singer Bruno Mars and funk group The Time performed a tribute to Prince. Mars appeared in Prince’s signature makeup, and played a guitar with a similar shape to one that Prince used.

Five Grammys were awarded to David Bowie for his album “Blackstar,” which was described to be a “parting gift” to his fans before his death. Before this year’s awards, Bowie had never won a major Grammy.

While there were many touching moments throughout the show, there were also humorous ones. Twenty One Pilots, Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun, accepted their award for Best Pop Duo Performance in their underwear. They explained that a few years ago, they were watching the Grammys when they realized that everyone present viewing it with them were all in their underwear. They had made an agreement then that if they ever won a Grammy, they would accept it that way, without their pants.

Full of captivating performances and heartwarming tributes, this year’s show had audience members full of excitement and appreciation. It was truly unforgettable.