Wrestling suffers defeat on senior night to B-CC

On their senior night, the Rockets faced of against the B-CC Barons hoping to take home a win on the special occasion. Despite their efforts and two forfeits from their opponents, the Rockets still weren’t able to prevail against the dominant B-CC team and suffered a hard fought loss 56-15.

The Rockets’ got off to a shaky start when the Barons won five matches in quick succession, with the Rockets’ only score coming from a forfeit. Six games into the match the scoreboard read 30 to 6 and the Rocket’s couldn’t make out a glimmer of hope. Although each member fought hard and avoided multiple pins, they still couldn’t hold out against their unrelenting opponents and mainly remained on the defensive throughout the entire match.

The Rockets became increasingly more frustrated and multiple sighs of disappointment could be heard from their side of the mat. Despite being dominated by their opponents, the Rockets tried to stay positive and continued to cheer on all of their teammates. At 33-6 senior Ben Fishman stepped up to the mat, determined to end the losing streak, “I told myself, don’t mess this up, it’s senior night,” Fishman explained.

Fishman began his match steadily waiting for an opportunity to take down his opponent. When the moment came, Fishman struck, wrestling his opponent to the ground and firing up the crowd on both sides. Fishman managed to stay in the lead throughout the entirety of his match with his teammates standing by and cheering him on. Nearing the end of the match with only 20 seconds left, Fishman was suddenly put on the defensive and brought to the ground, almost getting pinned. Teammates on both sides of the mat started jumping up and shouting boisterously at both wrestlers. With Fishman barely holding on, the clock blared loudly and signaled the end of the match, Fishman had narrowly avoided a pin and won his match.  “All I was telling myself was don’t get pinned under any circumstances,” stated Fishman referring to the intense last moments of his match.

Fishman’s win sparked a new sense of hope in the Rockets, but unfortunately they were unable to follow through and lost their momentum. B-CC instantly recovered from the loss and responded with a win, winning four more matches in a row before forfeiting their last one, ending the competition with a score of 56-15.

Even though the Rockets suffered a devastating defeat this time, coach James remains optimistic about their next match, confidently stating that they “we’re gonna get some pins.”