Girls Basketball suffers loss to Whitman

The RM Girls’ Basketball team was quiet and pensive despite the blaring music that boomed through the gym. They went through warm-ups in an almost robot-like trance, sinking free throws with ease and three-pointers like they were nothing.

Tuesday night was likely one of the toughest games they would play in the regular season. Across the court stood last year’s Maryland state basketball champions: Whitman, and among them was 5’9” Princeton commit Abby Meyers, who would go on to rack up 34 of Whitman’s 61 points that night.

“The last couple of games we really did a good job working as a team and trying to connect,” said junior Kate Schuck. “So even though we came in knowing we were the underdog, we still wanted to try to work together and keep our passing consistent.”

Missing from RM’s lineup was the team’s offensive powerhouse, junior Melanie Osborne, who was forced to miss a game due to illness. Junior Chloe Sherman took Osborne’s place among starters Schuck, Karon Williams, Nusaibah Rashad, and the sole senior Mackenzie Harwood.

Rashad stood at the center of the court facing Whitman’s 6’2” center, senior Olivia Meyers. The Vikings took the tip-off, but a turnover ended their advantage almost immediately. The strong Rocket defense kept Meyers at bay, rendering the Vikings scoreless for a majority of the first quarter. Going 1-for-2 on her first free throw would begin Meyers’ 34-point conquest.

Relentless Williams would answer right back to tie the game 1-1 after a drive to the basket drew a Whitman foul.

“We rotated [several different defenders on Meyers], recognizing that she was going to score a lot of points, but also recognizing that we just wanted to get some fresh defenders on her and really give different girls opportunities to play against one of the better players in the state,” said head coach Michael Oakes.

The next time RM gained possession, Whitman answered with incredible pressure. Close man-to-man defense forced several Rocket turnovers and gave the Vikings countless opportunities to take the lead. Harwood sealed up the quarter with a quick rebound in the last couple of seconds ending it 4-12, Whitman with a wide berth.

The Vikings took an even wider lead in the beginning of the second quarter, keeping the Rockets to five points and scoring twelve of their own with four minutes left in the half. RM took a timeout to gather themselves, and came back with a certain kind of tenacity in their step.

Photo by Sierra Longest

They would go on to score ten more points that quarter, with major efforts from Williams and, queen of the rebounds that night, Rashad. The half ended 15-32, Whitman with the lead.

“Really we just wanted to make sure that we were moving the ball and that players were moving and that we were making good quality passes,” said Oakes. “There were definitely some times during the game where our passes were sloppy and it allowed Whitman to get some baskets in transition.”

The Rockets put everything they had into the last half. Williams was everywhere. If she missed a shot, she would race under the net to grab her own rebound, or connect with someone else under the net.

It was safe to say, however, that once Abby Meyers took a seat for the last quarter of the game, Whitman’s offense hadn’t been nearly as efficient and effective as it had been for the other three periods.

The game ended 61-29, RM taking their second loss in the regular season.

The Rockets hope to bounce back from their loss at their game versus B-CC on Friday night.

“Keeping our composure is something we really need to work on for B-CC,” said Schuck. “We have a better chance of winning that game, so we have to be able to work together and stay close.”

“Moving forward, rebounding is going to be a really important focus,” continued Oakes. “B-CC has only one loss in the county, now we have two losses in the county plus a tournament game. It’s gonna be a really good matchup, I’m really excited for it.”