Rockets’ early match momentum begets victory against Seneca Valley Eagles, but focus remains on improvement

On Wednesday, January 12, with a boisterous crowd as the backdrop, the RM wrestling team took on the Seneca Valley Eagles in their home stadium, hoping to add another win to their record. The Rockets came in, filled with confidence and ready to fight. Due to their incredible spirit and physicality, the team blew past the Eagles with a winning score of 60-15.

The Rockets started out winning multiple matches. With each successive win, the team gained momentum, rolling through their opponent until they were in the lead 42-12. The Eagles managed to win the next match, which brought the score to 42-15.

After the Eagles’ close win, the atmosphere became tense, and the Rockets reverted back to their focused mentality. Every team member watched the next matches intently, and the stadium was full of words of encouragement from both the opposing sides.

The Rockets managed to obtain two successive pins that ended the Eagles’ chances of victory. The team exploded with joy shouting ecstatically all the while hugging and patting each other on the backs.

Coach James praised the multiple factors that contributed to the Rockets’ win over the Eagles. He was especially content with the team spirit during tense moments, stating that it “really contributed a lot to today’s win” and that “they supported each other throughout all the matches.” Adding to that, Coach James was pleased with the way his team’s physical performance. “They executed all the techniques that we practiced…They did what they knew how to do and their hard work at practice paid off,” he said.

Junior Baiquni Iman-Santoso, one of RM’s wrestlers, stated that “working hard at practice, having a better mindset, and better conditioning” were the determining factors in their win.

“Obviously we didn’t get a perfect score, so there is still room for improvement,” he noted.

With a win tucked away, the Rockets will have gained some confidence and knowledge that can be used in their next couple of matches. The Rockets hope to follow up this win with another as they travel away to take on the Whitman Vikings.

Featured photo by Michael Pan