Rockets’ offensive plays shift momentum in game’s late stages for victory against Patriots

Concluding a nail-biting battle of endurance and intensity, the girls varsity basketball team defeated Wootton 66-57 away on Tuesday night. After two bitter losses to the Patriots in last year’s season, the Rockets returned more experienced and eager for vengeance. The thrilling comeback has improved the team’s record to 7-2.

An offensive energy sparked on both sides straight after tip-off. Wootton pulled ahead early as their infallible distance shooters racked up points and provided a challenge for the Richard Montgomery defense. Without some paramount players to their starting lineup, the Rockets were still able to execute effective passes. At the end of the first quarter, the Patriots led 20-12.

Despite loosening their grip on the lead, the second quarter gave the Rockets opportunities to chip away Wootton’s tenacity beyond the scoreboard. Juniors Chloe Sherman and Kate Schuck guided rebounding efforts to limit Wootton’s possessions. Richard Montgomery also pressured the Patriots by running them up against the shot clock. Some shots just were not landing for the Rockets, and the frustration continued towards halftime, trailing the Patriots 35-19.

When the ten minute break concluded, the Rockets aimed to take a different approach against Wootton’s quick pace, and fought back with poise and control, calculating every pass and completing big plays. Juniors Deedee Yan and Melanie Osborne took turns closing the score gap by pulling up and taking shots. A substantial improvement in rebounding on offense secured a basket with each Richard Montgomery possession.

Photo by Katie Spencer

“We wanted to beat Wootton badly,” exclaimed Coach Oakes, and the momentum found in the second half reflected precisely the Rockets’ desire for a victory. Wootton was startled by the rally and switched around their lineup in attempt to silence the comeback. It was too late. The Rockets’ resurgence brought turnovers and breakaways which hounded the Patriots relentlessly.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Patriots only led the Rockets by seven. Center Nusaibah Rashad became an essential asset to RM’s offensive charge as she instinctively collected rebounds and dominated at post to shorten the point differential. With five minutes remaining, the Rockets received their first taste of the lead as a missed free-throw attempt was snatched and brought back up to make the score 51-50 Richard Montgomery.

Wootton made a last effort by fouling, but RM’s performance from the line drowned the Patriots’ chance of reclaiming the lead. Rashad’s last-second layup concluded the damage, and the game was won 66-57.

Altogether, the Richard Montgomery victory was not only an entertaining fight, but it manifested the versatility and all-around ability of the team’s roster. Even without several returning starters, the group was able to hold its own against an honorable opponent. “I think we proved that if we try our best, and do our best, we can beat any team,” said Schuck.

The Rockets are looking to bring this winning momentum as they travel to Wheaton this Friday night to face the 4-6 Knights.

Featured photo by Katie Spencer.