Girls basketball team proves versatility in Rockets revenge win against rival Rockville Rams

The Richard Montgomery girls basketball team defeated Rockville at home on Wednesday night. Seeking revenge, the team sought to reverse the damage of two crushing losses against the Rams in the previous season. The age-old rivalry was replenished with a new opportunity for the Rockets to reclaim the city and ameliorate their record to 5-1.

The action in the first quarter was slow to begin. The Rockets’ assertive man-on-man defense minimized Rockville’s offensive efforts and forced turnovers. Several jump-ball situations kept the possession rotating between each team. While the Rams pushed ahead temporarily with fast breaks down the court, Richard Montgomery answered by sending the ball to junior forward Melanie Osborne at post with excellent finishes. The Rockets had reached the height of their intensity and held onto a lead of 10-9 at the end of the first quarter.

With the start of the second quarter came a spectacular offensive effort from behind the arc. Junior guards Karon Williams and Deedee Yan modeled three-pointers for their team and initiated the far-shooting success RM would have for the rest of the match.

As half-time neared, the Rockets began to full-court press — a strategy planned well in advance with thanks to the diligent scouting from Coach Oakes. The consistent pressure forced the Rams to make errant passes and caused many turnovers in Richard Montgomery’s favor. By the half, the Rockets increased their lead to 23-15, but there was still room for improvement.

While the Rams never strayed far from their starting lineup, the Rockets proved their versatility by granting game experience to players outside of their starting five. “We’re all really important,” commented Coach Oakes, “and we need all twelve of us to accomplish everything that we want to this season.” Junior guard Meagan Palmaira made her varsity debut and effortlessly drained a three-point shot within seconds of first touching the ball. Teammates Nya Hansberry and Chloe Sherman also made appearances on the court to help move the Rockets towards victory.

Richard Montgomery expanded their lead to 38-24 at the start of the fourth quarter. Despite a few lone breakaways from the Rams, the Rockets dominated defensively held their ground. Rockville ran into continuous trouble with the shot clock, which gave RM the possession as they let the clock drain out. The final score of the Rockets win was 48-32.

Overall, the thrilling rivalry match-up showcased the talent of the entire team as new faces emerged and proved their own. As the girls have their gaze on postseason success, they are always looking for opportunities to improve their abilities. “We’re playing against ourselves to get better. Every minute of every game,” concluded Coach Oakes.

The Rockets look forward to battling the Patriots at Wootton once they return from break on Tuesday, January 3rd.