Richard Montgomery hockey remains undefeated with shutout of Northwest

On a below freezing Friday evening, the Richard Montgomery Rockets were preparing to maintain their undefeated streak against The Northwest Jaguars.

The starting lineups were changing by the minute as more and more people couldn’t play due to injuries. Two concussions, a broken wrist, a stinging back, and some freakish accident involving a 45 pound plate preceded the game and created the disorder that ensued. However this game was also the opening game for sophomore and AAA hockey player Kenneth Trihn, adding an integral part to the Rockets already impressive defense.

The game started off quickly, with junior Dmitry Bilous showing his mettle firing the puck into the top right corner of the net following a pass from junior Adrian Martella.

Five minutes later, the momentum grew even further as Bilous sent a shot behind the Northwest goaltender, making the crossbar ring and then go straight into the net.

Photo by Jacob Logsdon
Photo by Jacob Logsdon

With seconds left in the first period, sophomore Kenneth Trihn showed the crowd the depth of his skill in his first game back, dancing around a defender, skating into the offensive zone, and sending the puck off the right post and in.

As the first period ended, the Rockets were running away from Northwest 3-0.

With the start of the second period, momentum began to slip from the Rockets. Committing more penalties, engaging in more hitting, and going scoreless, the second period passed by with 3 penalties and no goals.

The third period went by almost identically, but this time with only one penalty and zero goals. The Rockets defense was able to work through Northwest’s powerful hits and fast shots to win 3-0.

Photo by Jacob Logsdon
Photo by Jacob Logsdon

Back in the locker room it was full of smiles and cheers, that is until their coach entered. Everyone became silent, listening to the careful evaluation of the game.

The Rockets have an award called “Smell the Glove”, where the player of the game signs his name on a glove only to then pass it on the next week. The recipient of the award was obvious to everyone, including the coach. “He never stopped on his forecheck, I even heard the coaches on the other bench yelling at their defenders whenever he was on the ice. They were scared of what he could do.” Dmitry Bilous earned the “Smell the Glove” award for the night.

The players also have their own tradition, an award called “Tiny Toast”. It’s not only a cereal, but it’s also their “good luck charm” and an award the captains give to a player. “Everyone played great, I could give this to anyone in the room, but there’s one person in particular. It has to go to Alex, congratulations on your first shutout.” Bilous said, handing the award to sophomore goaltender Alex Green, who had a miraculous 14 saves for his first shutout with The Rockets.

The Rockets are now 6-0-1, continuing their goal of an undefeated season.