Toy drive promotes the spirit of giving

RM students donated approximately 500 toys to the toy drive, which was held from Monday, December 5, to Monday, December 12. The toys will bring joy to the many underprivileged children who are becoming increasingly energetic as they anticipate their holiday gifts.

The purpose of the drive, according to Sofia Bhalwani, the schoolwide SGA President, was to “benefit the underprivileged people of Montgomery County.”

SGA members went to each fourth period classroom to collect toys, offering incentives to the class who brought in the most gifts. Classes who donated more than 20 toys recieved ice cream, while the class who donated the most toys got a pizza party. The toys were required to be new and unopened.

Jeremy Koenig, whose class donated the most toys, spoke about what motivated him to collect so many toys. “I think we really got into the spirit of giving, and there was a really competitive aspect too, we just wanted to beat the other classes,” he said.

At the end of the toy drive, all of the toys were sent to the City of Rockville and placed into a little shopping area for families to visit. “The children absolutely love these toys,” said Bhalwani, “and it warms our heart to help these families and children every year.”

Toy drives are an important reminder for us to be thankful for what we have, and to spread joy to those who need it. “Most kids tend to get presents every year, and they take it for granted. They might not like what they get, but at least they get something,” said sophomore Elaine Han.

Junior Michelle Li agreed. “When you get a toy, it brightens up your day, unlike something like money would do,” Li said.

Although a toy drive may not seem as important as donating food and clothes, it creates a certain atmosphere of giving that cannot be imitated in a canned food drive. “The toy drive teaches you to give at a time when we are often too focused on ourselves,” said Han.

“Toy drives in general are incredibly important. I think they foster a spirit of giving,” Mr. Koenig explained. “Of course, kids aren’t going to eat toys, and they won’t keep them warm in the winter, but I think the spirit of play and having kids have presents to unwrap and something that goes beyond the basic needs, having a little extra, can be really special.”

“When children are young, they don’t really care for food or clothes. All children care about is having fun, enjoying themselves, and playing with their toys,” Bhalwani added. “Although food and clothes are regarded as necessities, so are toys, by children at least.”

By donating a few toys, RM students were able to brighten the days of hundreds of less fortunate students around us. Although a toy may not seem essential, it is important to never underestimate the power of a small act of kindness.