A divided nation, now what?

It is almost impossible to ignore America’s increased political polarity. The 2016 election and its results have caused an increasing divide between people, with Trump becoming president-elect. As a result, many people are contacting electoral college members and calling for recounts. No matter the results of the election, it is imperative to learn how to adapt and unite despite divided beliefs.

The day after the election, Obama said, “We’re not Democrats first. We’re not Republicans first. We are Americans first. We’re patriots first. We all want what’s best for this country.” However, according to the Pew Research Center, “Today, sizable shares of both Democrats and Republicans say the other party stirs feelings of not just frustration, but fear and anger.”

Anger after an election is natural, as Trump himself called for Americans to “march on Washington and stop this travesty” and spread false rumors that Obama had lost the popular vote in 2012. Just as conservatives had protested the election in 2012, liberals have the right to and are expressing their beliefs in 2016.

We must recognize this difference in opinion as a value of democracy, and learn to respect it. More importantly, we must express our beliefs legally and without hate. However, this election’s results have spurred many violent acts.

The peaceful intentions of the county-wide walkouts are a good example of this; students simply exercised their rights while abiding by the Code of Conduct. However, violent incidents ruined the intentions of the protest and have led to unfair villainization of opposing political parties.  Likewise, many conservatives are celebrating the president-elect, but vandalism such as the painting of swastikas on bathroom walls and harassment of minorities undermine people who peacefully support Trump.

Submission or tyranny of one side is not the solution to the controversial election, but learning to work with the elected government will peacefully satisfy the values of the nation. Although some people may not agree with Trump’s rhetoric, they must value the over 62 million voters that support his ideas. They also must learn to work with the Trump supporters.

In her concession speech, Clinton stated that America, “enshrines the rule of law; the principle we are all equal in rights and dignity; freedom of worship and expression,” and both sides must respect this rule of law.

America was built, and depends upon disagreement and diverse political views. This means we may never fully agree as a country, but agreeing with each other may not be the solution. Instead, all political parties must peacefully express and try to channel their beliefs under a democratic system. We as high schoolers must work with our local public service officials and exercise our rights to express our opinions while abiding by the law. Instead of turning division into violence, we must support our personal views by shaping them to compromise with others through shared respect.

-By Shevani Tewari