RM field hockey falls to Wootton in first playoff game

The RM field hockey team took a hard-fought 1-0 loss to Wootton on Thursday night to end their season 4-8-1.

Nerves ran high as the Rockets huddled up to share a few last words before they took the field. They would fall to a single Wootton goal late in the second half, but in that moment, all that mattered was each other, the ball, and the next seventy minutes.

The seniors, recalling their season-ending loss to Wootton last year, knew what was at stake. “This wasn’t going to be an automatic win for either side, we’d have to fight for it,” senior forward Zaynah Moen said.

The pregame coin flip gave Wootton possession at the beginning of the first half, which they quickly took advantage of. The Patriots struck hard and fast, getting in a couple shots during the first minute of the game that jolted RM’s defense awake. Throughout the season, the team had been more defensively-based, but it was almost as if someone had flipped a switch in the Rocket offense, with major efforts from Moen, junior Ella Scarano, and freshman Caroline Maggio.

Despite more offensive possessions, RM lacked in penalty corners. Wootton, on the contrary, had one after the other, huge goal-scoring opportunities that were smothered by the Rocket defense, led by senior captain Elaina Dixon.

“I didn’t want to let my team down,” Dixon said. “I wanted to leave everything I had on the field.”

The girls buzzed with adrenaline as they trailed off the turf to meet for a halftime talk with the score tied at 0-0. The Rockets had dominated the first half in nearly every aspect of the game, but keeping up the intensity throughout the second half was what they had to worry about. Historically, RMFH had not been a second half team. It was the part of the game when their energy fell and when most of the goals against them were scored.

Although they held on for a large part of the second half, RM’s defense finally cracked under the constant pressure coming from Wootton’s strong offense. Their midfielders sent in a perfect pass from the top of the 16-yard circle with ten minutes left. A Patriot forward got a touch on the ball and sent it to the high right corner of the goal, sealing the deal for what was an amazing game.

The Rockets never gave up—they put everything they had into those last ten minutes, but unfortunately so did Wootton. “I’m very proud of how hard we [competed] the entire game,” varsity coach Alie Brooks said. “I can confidently say that was one of the best games we played all year.”

Next season, the Rockets hope to bring back the same energy and friendship. “I just want to have a good season and make a lot of memories,” junior Ella Scarano said. “It all ends way too fast.”

The graduating seniors will never forget the experiences they’ve had wearing the RM Field Hockey uniform.

“[My team] always [has] my back, both on and off the field,” Dixon noted.” “I consider everyone on my team a close friend and am so thankful for all the support and love they have for me.”

“I’ll miss always having someone by my side who shares a passion for the game, and who will always be there for me both on and off the field,” Moen reflected. “This season might be over but I know I’ll always be a part of RMFH.”

Featured photo by Maddie Franke