The Art Honor Societies of RM

With numerous a capella groups, and an art gallery on Main Street, Richard Montgomery is known for a wealth of artistic talent that is reflected in two of RM’s prominent fine arts programs, National Arts Honor Society (NAHS) and Modern Music Makers (more commonly known as Tri-M).

These clubs offer a platform for students who are interested in the visual and musical arts to explore these passions outside of a strictly educational setting. Senior Delia Chen, president of NAHS, finds that the clubs offer, “a break from rote memorization and all the other things we have to do for school.”

In the middle of a long and often stressful school day, students can make their way to the chorus room at lunch and hear various RM musicians perform during Tri-M meetings. “Everyone’s there to support you and they’re really interested in learning about different instruments and different styles of music,” expressed junior Evelyn Sturrock, co-vice president of Tri-M.

NAHS and Tri-M also provide opportunities to diversify students’ artistic exposure. “Tri-M also allowed me to bond more with the instrumental music members, because there aren’t many chances to socialize with the other programs,” reflected senior Alexander Lin, co-president of Tri-M and member of Madrigals. This year, Tri-M will expand this musical exchange by combining the fundraising aspect of the group with the performance aspect. “We’re talking about a couple of different things,” explained choral music teacher and Tri-M sponsor Ronald Frezzo, “one is sponsoring a concert where people make donations.”

RM Madrigals
RM Madrigals

The groups’ creative interactions extend beyond campus, reaching those in the Montgomery County community. NAHS, for example, has an annual Youth Art for Healing project where they donate their art to local hospitals. “All the nurses were telling us how they found solace in our pieces, especially after those long nights where they’re in these closed, confined spaces,” Chen recalls. The student artwork “helps promote healing and comfort among the patients and their loved ones.”

For the first time this year, as part of the Youth Art for Healing project, NAHS will, “be doing thirteen paintings at Georgetown University Hospital,” explained art teacher and NAHS sponsor Katherine Stanton, spreading the joy and serenity brought through art.

With the enjoyment experienced through these clubs, of course, there come some requirements to become official members. For Tri-M, Lin laid them out as simply, “ushering, performing, food, community, and attendance,” with various ways, throughout the school year, to achieve the necessities to become an official member.

tri-m

To those who may feel that these requirements may be a bit much, senior Camilo Gonzalez-Sol stressed that, “Credits have such a bad connotation but it’s really just all the things that you want to be doing anyway.” Plus, throughout the whole experience,  “you get to hear people do music!” pointed out Gonzalez-Sol. “What is cooler than that?”

For National Honors Society, Chen explained that, “the main thing we ask for is for people to help out with exhibitions and galleries when we have them.” She elaborated to say that participants are encouraged as well to “submit pieces when we do have our main office exhibitions and participate in the competitions and the internships.”

Though it may seem like a lot at first glance, it is important not to be intimidated by all of this information–remember that all these talented leaders started somewhere. Lin, now co-president of Tri-M, has only been truly cultivating his passion for performing music, “since freshman year.”

Yeh, now junior vice president is still developing her art form. “I am still in the learning process of how to paint realistically and control my painting,” she explained, later on stressing that, “you don’t have to be a master artist to come.” Gonzalez-Sol, an accomplished composer, expressed that, “sometimes music has beat me up and made me feel down,” but more importantly, between these rough moments, “music has been a tool for me to empower myself.”

So maybe you do not feel as though you are quite “there” yet in your artistic career–almost everyone in the group, no matter the level, feels the same way. These groups have progressively become more than just clubs; they are diverse communities of varying talents and people welcoming of all these talents. They are growing and expanding each passing year, and this year, you could take the first step in becoming a part of RM’s ever-evolving artistic community.