Hillary or Trump

Hillary Clinton For President

Hillary Clinton has gotten up every day to fight for us, and is the only viable candidate for the presidency this year. A majority of RM students agree. The people who support continuing the legacy of the Obama administration, see Clinton as the best choice. She has received support from almost all of the Democratic Party, and has listened to the people.

One reason Clinton is villainized in the media is the deep-rooted patriarchy, and the unnecessary scrutiny women go through in order to create a career in politics. As a result of the patriarchy,  Hillary is being investigated and attacked for every small mistake she’s ever made. It is unfortunately true that with the email crisis, every mistake Clinton makes along the way of her campaign is subject to tyranny. Even the email investigation has been unfairly depicted, as almost every presidential candidate has made a mistake at some point in their lives. Because we see people who are serious, wearing t-shirts saying, “HILLARY FOR JAIL 2016,”, we can easily infer the media has made every attempt to scrutinize Clinton.

Other RM students claim that there are only two candidates, and that one is horribly racist, sexist, homophobic, and simply obnoxious, while the other one is not. Donald Trump has said horrible comments about racial minorities, and spreads untrue facts regarding China and global warming. He has degraded Muslim women and their husbands alike, even going as far to attack their son who died serving in the American military. He has called Latinx citizen’s pigs. He even got an endorsement from the Ku Klux Klan leader, and refused to disavow the endorsement until his actions sparked national outrage. He said pedophillic comments about his own daughter, and even other women. Models from Trump’s business have complained of exploitation, and Donald continues to deny them. He is determined to overturn the ruling of same-sex marriage, and continues to ignore the rise of the AIDS/HIV crisis and their conflicts with national health insurance. Finally, during the presidential debate, he interrupted Hillary Clinton 40 times, refusing to show the simplest necessity for a successful debate: respect. The very idea that someone as terrifying and dangerous to our country as Trump is close to winning the election, is terrifying, and the only way to prevent Trump’s win is to vote for Hillary. I’m with her. And I think you should be too.

Donald Trump For President

Donald Trump is one of the most controversial candidates for president since George Wallace, stated by Wallace’s daughter herself. Nevertheless, we must accept the idea that the media has painted him in an unfair image to American citizens. Between Clinton and himself, he could be the better candidate.

It is widely believed among Trump supporters at RM that the media has painted Trump as extreme and obnoxious, though the negative characterization of Trump is likely from the fact that we’ve had Democratic President Barack Obama for the past 8 years, about half of our lives. Many students here are unaware of problems the Democratic Party refused to address, and Trump has a solution to many of them. Despite how much dissent the idea may receive in a liberal area, the country has been moving in an extremely liberal direction, and many issues have not been addressed. For example, Trump’s policies on immigration reform and terrorism have almost always been perceived as racist, despite many illegal immigrants coming from drug cartels or radical groups. These illegal immigrants, potentially, can endanger many American citizens. Furthermore, according to Trump’s website, his most extreme measures will only be done “temporarily”, emphasizing how his motive is to help, not harm.

Another argument, surprisingly the most common, was along the lines of how Trump is better than Hillary Clinton, as he will not be able to get much done. Although this argument seems strange, it is safer to leave our country at a standstill than place it in the hands of someone determined and able to bring change that would only harm the country. Both of the candidates are disliked enough, forcing voters to choose from the lesser of two evils. Supporters of Trump are correct, that Trump is less likely to implement his ideals, whether they are good or bad. This particularly appeals to independent voters, for Clinton is seen as too liberal and powerful. Clinton has much more political experience as a New York state senator and Secretary of State, whereas Trump’s entire life has been dedicated to his business. While Trump’s strength is in economics, Clinton is much more knowledgeable of Congress’ ideals. Currently, only seven Republican senators endorsed Trump and his policies. Congress is entirely based off power of the majority, and the Senate only needs 67 people to veto a bill. As a result, it would be quite easy to veto Trump’s policies when 93 senators currently do not approve of Trump or his policies. Although many people dislike his policies, if they are also against Hillary, it is safer to vote Trump into office.

Donald Trump, Drumpf, Cheeto. It does not matter what you call him. But, Donald Trump is the safer option for voters who disapprove of both candidates.