Rockets girls volleyball notches victory against rival Rams

Brooks+Perks

The Richard Montgomery varsity girls’ volleyball team beat Rockville High School three sets to one in their home opener in front of a full crowd.

The Rockets got off to a strong start with a 6-0 run in the first set, and overpowered the Rams. After putting away Rockville quickly in that set, the girls from Rockville stormed back to win the second set 25-18.

With both teams determined not to drop another set, the Rockets and Rams alternated blows early on in the third set, but RM ultimately pulled ahead and took the set 25-19.

“We needed to be more consistent, especially when receiving serves,” said Head Coach Barber-Strunk, “We were hoping to win in three, but I’ll take it.” The Rockets dominated the fourth set to win convincingly by a score of 25-10, and took the best-of-five series against their rivals Rockville.

Throughout the match, the Rockets’ front line delivered great defense with key blocks. Sophomore Brooke Richman provided steady leadership in the middle while senior Abby Hernandez had an outstanding offensive performance.

“[The key to the victory was] our ability to work as a team and communicate well, and even when we were falling behind or tired we never gave up,” sophomore Julia Finver said. “The crowd support didn’t hurt, either.” The Rockets’ record now stands at 1-1, with the next game at Springbrook on September 16th.