Students bond through senior and freshman Unity Days

The seniors and freshmen of RM went on Unity Day field trips as the first month of school came to an end. They went to Smokey Glen Farm on September 27 and 28, respectively. The students were able to take a break from school, spend time with friends, and enjoy unlimited food.

Many students participated in a variety of sports including soccer, basketball, kickball, volleyball, and frisbee. Through these activities, the students got to know each other better by working together toward a common goal. “Everyone was bonding. We see so many people having a good time with their friends and getting to know each other more,” said freshman SGA President Pranav Tadikonda.

The SGA members planned a senior tie-dye t-shirt activity that sparked interest in a number of students. Through tie-dyeing, the seniors expressed their creativity and designed unique t-shirts. In general, the events on Senior Unity Day were very well-organized and planned out. “Senior Unity Day was sunny. Everyone had a good time. They were more relaxed and unified because they were leaving seniors,” said senior SGA Vice President Paloma Zegarra Schmidt.

Seniors provided constructive feedback on how the Unity Day could be improved for next year. “More activities should be planned for those who don’t like sports,” said senior Jeani Choe. Senior Jacob Mayl added, “We should’ve stayed there longer so seniors could have more time to relax.”

Freshmen bond through team activities.
Freshmen bond through team activities.

Unlike Senior Unity Day, Freshman Unity Day was rainy. The SGA planned a balloon toss activity that encouraged teamwork and sportsmanship, as the teams supported and cheered for each other. Due to the weather, many freshman students had to crowd and seek shelter. Instead of playing outdoors, groups of students gathered to play card games.

A group of freshmen tried to build a human pyramid by stacking themselves on top of each other. “It was up for five seconds before I fell off. It’s much more difficult than it seems,” said freshman Ashley Ye. When it was time to leave, many students were soaked by the rain as they tried to find their own bus. “Next time, the event should be planned with the weather in mind,” said Ye. “The field trip should be rescheduled to another date if the weather is bad.”

Despite the rain, the students had a good time bonding and they did not have to worry about classes or homework. “Overall, it was a great experience and it was beneficial for students so they could relax and have fun,” said Tadikonda.