MCPS Drive for Supplies recycling program helps the community and Ecuadorians devastated in April’s earthquake

As the end of the school year nears at RM, the MCPS Drive for Supplies Program is organizing an end of the year locker clean-out and supply distribution. The program is a combined anti poverty endeavor between Montgomery County and a non profit known as Learn Shop Inc that donates used or leftover school supplies when students finish cleaning out their desks and lockers.

The purpose of the program is not only to assist families and the local community at home, but also to reach out to countries abroad. In fact, the Consul General of Ecuador himself has reached out to the Drive for Supplies program in Montgomery County for assistance for thousands of Ecuadorian families and schools affected by this past April’s earthquake.

The program is looking for more RM students to become involved and to help donate supplies that will go toward a crucial cause. As Reverend Newcomer, one of the main organizers of the project, said, “[I] encourage more students and staff to participate, and [express] gratitude for a ‘job well done’ to the many students who’ve participated over the years.”

The program is now in its 17th season, having raised more than 88 tons of school supplies, and has donated to countries such as Haiti, Nigeria, and Iraq, to name a few. Annually, the MCPS School Energy and Recycling Team, short for SERT, presents awards to schools that collect the most supplies.

If you are interested in participating or lending a helping hand, please send an email to Ms. Rossini at [email protected], who will notify you of RM’s recycling coordinator, and look out for announcements on RMBC. More information on the program can be found here.