RM girls varsity lacrosse defeat cross town rival Rockville in senior night victory

On Tuesday, May 3rd, eight varsity senior lacrosse girls players played their last home game of the season against Rockville High School.  The stands were filled with support for the senior girls who would be graduating this upcoming June. The seniors’ hard work and dedication for the game paid off with a 15-5 victory that left the crowd roaring. 

The Rockets took an early lead in the game, with senior captain Sarah Morgan scoring the goal less than two minutes in, setting the tone for the rest of the game. Senior Anisha Pancholi and Sophomore captain Melanie Osborne quickly followed behind Morgan’s strong start making the score 3-0. However, the Rams fought back and were able to put one on the scoreboard. Morgan easily returned the favor with two more quick shots, leaving the crowd erupting in joy.

Photo by Tide photographer Kevin Pan

Senior Claire Hemming continued the momentum with another goal after the Rams scored their second of the night. Junior Kerri Corcoran managed to slip in one more goal before the clock ran out, giving the Rockets a 7-2 lead going into the second half.

The Rams opened up the second half strong, scoring early on but Osborne did not hold back and scored twice, with a hat trick on the night.

At the 15:25 mark, Sarah Morgan was called by the referee for an illegal check and was given a penalty. The Rams took advantage of this and got a penalty shot leaving the score 9-4. Even with this slight comeback, Corcoran returned with a second score at the 11:09 mark.

Photo by Tide photographer Kevin Pan

The score was 10-5 when the Rams scored again, but Layali Al-Jirafi, JV sophomore goalie who was substituting for goalie Cam Aaron, fought back and pleased the crowd with two penalty saves. Al-Jirafi was able to hold her ground for the rest of the night as the Rams were unable to put any more points on the scoreboard.

The night continued with a beautiful shot from Gaby Phillips, Junior, who was then followed by back to back goals from Senior captain Elizabeth Conway. Senior Brittany Hedetniemi scored her first goal of the season and with less than a minute left. This wasn’t enough for the Rockets however as Senior Captain Maeve Givens raced against the clock to end the game with a score of her own, giving the Rockets a 15-5 victory over their crosstown rival.

Photo by Tide photographer Kevin Pan

The night ended with a ceremony celebrating the seniors’ hard work and dedication to RM lacrosse, but the season is not over yet. “There are some really great teams out there, but I know we can be competitive,” said Givens as the girls head into playoffs.