RM softball defeats Whitman after scoring nine runs in one inning

RM Softball began the second half of their season with a 14-12 victory over the Whitman Vikings on Tuesday. Captains Alison Berman and Devon Geotz met to shake hands with the Whitman team captains promptly at 3:45. Then nine Rockets took to the field.

The leadoff hitter for Whitman hit a single to left field, and after a walk and another single, bases were already loaded with no outs. Geotz got the first out when she caught a high floating ball headed to the left. The first run of the day came with another walk. But the Rockets made up for it with a quick double play to end the inning where forcing out the runners headed for home plate and first base with a quick catch and throw by pitcher Maya Geer and catcher Isabella Levine.

Photo by Tide photographer Kevin Pan

To start their day at bat, after one out, Aviva Feldman hit a single behind second base and Rachel Lebedinsky hit a ball to the outfield which sent a runner home to tie the game. Geotz then scored 2 with a bomb falling just a few feet short of the fence to put the Rockets up 3-1 after the first inning.

The wind blew here and there across the field but did not impact the game. The second inning ended 3-2 RM.

At the bottom of the 3rd inning Lebedensky hit a triple. She ran home with a hit from Geotz, who then stole third base on the subsequent at bat. She soon scored after Whitman let the ball slip through their hands. The 3rd inning concluded with Whitman holding a 2 run lead, 7-5.

Photo by Tide photographer Kevin Pan

The players were constantly cheered on by their own teammates from the dugout and fans sitting behind the backstop.

Bases were loaded at the bottom of the fifth for RM and they were poised to take the lead back from the Vikings. Geotz sent two home with another long ball that slammed into the fence. It was tied 8-8 when Greta Ouimette scored the runner from third.

Photo by Tide photographer Kevin Pan

This game was their 8th of the year and the team really wanted a win to start the second half of the season. Multiple powerful hits from RM resulted in a 9 run push to lift them past Whitman 14-8.

Coach Callan was proud of the fact that her team was able to overcome the errors on the field and continue to play on. “I think they did a beautiful job coming back at the end of the game and scoring nine runs.” Almost all nine were needed as the Rockets clung on to the lead despite a good effort from the Whitman side. Richard Montgomery hung on for a much deserved 14-12 victory.