RM varsity baseball falls to Sherwood Warriors

The bases were loaded as the RM varsity boys baseball team set out to pitch first against the Sherwood Warriors. The game started out on a windy Tuesday afternoon at 3:15 pm. The blue backs of Sherwood and shady black coating of the RM boys scattered the newly furbished field. A team huddle by each side, and the game had begun.

The Rockets would go on to lose the game 17-2.

The first inning consisted of four runs scored by Sherwood. The Warriors batted through much of their lineup in the first inning. A quick inning for RM at the plate led to another Sherwood four-run inning.

At 3:52, RM looked ready to jump back from this slow start. However, in the next five minutes that passed, another three players were called out by the umpire.

By the time the third inning had started, the Sherwood crowd was starting to amass, as some members of the Sherwood girls softball team collected into the bleachers. After a few minutes into the inning, RM coach Codey Fear headed to the mound and senior pitcher Andrew Bejean was replaced with junior Harry Deutsch.

The first run came for RM around 4:15 pm by freshman Isaac Applebaum, with their second run closely following, however, at the expense of two outs. RM finally broke the no-hitter in the third inning when senior Andy Kostka blooped in a single over the first baseman’s head.

The end of the third inning saw the score being 9-2 and the atmosphere was turning more vibrant and lively, much to the delight of spectators, both Sherwood and RM alike.

In the gametime following the third inning, the RM team faced even more difficulty in clenching a hold over the game, as the Sherwood grasp tightened. The Rockets failed to score again while the Sherwood players celebrated with another eight runs being collected before the end of the game.

In a matter similar to the first inning, the fifth and final inning saw the RM’s defeat in their first season meeting with the Sherwood Warriors. Spectators witnessed the defining moments of the game in which the Warriors consistently came out on top. The first three batters up for RM were called out, during each of their runs to first base and the game was over. Final score, 17-2.

“I feel like we came out pretty flat today. I don’t know if it was the time difference between going from a 3:45 switched over to a 3:15 but we seemed to start to feel it before we came out on the field today,” Fear commented.