Post prom likely to be affected by RM gymnasium closure

Earlier this month, The Tide reported that the Richard Montgomery High School gymnasium would be out of commission due to water damage suffered from leaks in the ceiling that resulted from winter storm Jonas. At the the time, athletic director Chamy Wijeratne said that they hoped to get it done before playoffs began for basketball.

This goal no longer seems likely now, as the gym won’t be re-opened until March 8th at the earliest. The first playoff game for the girls basketball team took place last Friday and the boys will take on Blair this Monday.

A lack of supporters for athletes isn’t the only problem the school faces however. According to a WJLA report, the school has already lost thousands of dollars due to the high costs of repairing the gym and lack of funds from home games. This could potentially affect the post prom party which annually takes place at the Bowlmor Alley & Arcade. The purpose of post prom is to ensure that students are having fun in a safe and responsible manner once prom is over.

One solution to lower the costs of ticket prices for post prom has been to start a fundraiser on the website gofundme.com. Originally created by PTSA parent Rori Kochman, the fundraiser has already received $745 of the $15,000 it is asking for in just 10 days.

Click here to donate to post prom.