RM boys swim & dive team preparing to take first place at state championships meet

Two years ago, the RM boys swim and dive team managed to place first at the state championships meet. Unfortunately, despite being seeded first again last year, the boys fell short to Walter Johnson, placing second at states. This year, however, with a record of 7-1, the team is looking to retake their title of state champions.

Just recently, at the Washington Metropolitan Interscholastic Swim & Dive Championships, the team set two new MCPS records with the 200 meter Individual Medley relay and the 200 meter freestyle relay.

So far this season, RM has only lost one dual meet which was against Churchill. Many team members brush this off as not a big deal however, ,as that dual meet coincided with a large club team meet which many of RM’s top swimmers left for instead. In addition, the Rockets defeated former state champion Walter Johnson 111-60 in one of the largest victories of the entire regular season.

As of now, it appears that RM’s biggest competition this year will come from Bethesda Chevy-Chase. which placed second at the regionals meet, trailing behind the Rockets with a 78 point gap. However, in the dual meet earlier in the season, RM was able to defeat B-CC with a score of 110-61.

The team hopes to repeat the success they’ve had all season at states this Saturday, as they are seeded first in two out of the three relays and in the top-five for the final relay. RM also has two swimmers seeded in the top-five for the 50 meter freestyle.  Edskes is expected to make a large impact as well, as he is seeded first in both of his individual events. In addition, Coach Wheeler pointed out that everyone who swam at the regionals championship was able to qualify for states, which means that RM will have many more swimmers representing the team this year than in past years.

Although the team is seeded first once again this year for states, many swimmers know this doesn’t mean much. “Our seed means nothing,” said senior captain Bouke Edskes, “What’s important is that we swim our very best.”

It was Coach Wheeler who put it best however. “All the members on the team are back again this year and they’re ready to race, ready to win, and really looking forward to doing well at the meet.”