A behind the scenes look at the Annual One Acts Festival

Onstage, three actors in “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon” are engaged in a brawl over taking a child away from her mother, while backstage, chaos also reigns as various crews rush to find missing props and costumes. The often under-appreciated crews are crucial to any Black Maskers production, especially the One Acts Festival on February 5, which is student-directed and produced.

This year, the four productions, “Two’s A Pair,” “Amelia, Once More,” “Mole,” and the aforementioned “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon” all require myriad costume changes, different props, sets, and lighting. Though One Acts are a much smaller scale production than the main-stage shows, the extremely different plays make various crew jobs more challenging.

Sophomore Shiri Kalai applies makeup on sophomore Selma Benhassine, who stars in “Two’s A Pair”

One of the most crucial crews to any play is Props, who “is in charge of everything that actors hold on their hands and any other little things that sit on tables,” described junior Jenny Zuhl, its crew chief. Many of the props seen onstage are either owned by members of this crew, or made by hand. These range from the mundane, such as a compact mirror, to the almost absurd, such as a Styrofoam steering wheel thrown onstage.

Sharing the crowded props room with Props crew is Costumes, who rent, bring, or sew every single piece of clothing worn by the actors onstage. Their creations set a mood, convey characterization, or even foreshadow plot. Behind the scenes, dozens of rejected costumes hang from racks, while even more shelves filled with garments rival the amount of clothing any Kardashian has in her walk-in closet.

Sophomore Caroline Coffey (in “Mole”) poses in costume while waiting to go onstage

These two crews are also in the wings, changing actors and handing them props. They are also responsible for any sort of improvisation when a costume breaks or a prop goes missing. As a result, they have some of the most extensive and creative jobs of all crew members.

Of course, every crew is essential to making sure the show goes smoothly, but some show extreme dedication and ability for versatility with what they do. Since One Acts is only for night, they only have one chance to do their job right. However, even if something goes wrong, they have had more than enough practice to minimize the impact of mistakes. Hopefully, any major mishaps will only be known to those behind the scenes, and the audience will leave none the wiser.