Hockey falls to Wootton despite gaining early lead

The score board did not show RM’s efforts on the ice last friday night. The RM ice hockey team was defeated by Wootton 9-2.

The Rockets started off strong, gaining the lead just three minutes in. Captain Jack Blitz scored unassisted. With a boost of confidence, RM wanted to put on a show for their loyal fans. After freshman Jacob Lodgeston took a penalty on a weak call, Wootton broke through RM’s defense. This left the game tied with one apiece, after the first period.

The rockets came out flat in the second period. Wootton jumped on this opportunity, scoring two more goals early in the period. With Julia Kochman receiving a 2 and a 10 misconduct penalty for checking illegally from behind, RM was down players. Everything became different from this point on. The lines got mixed up and players were playing with teammates that they usually do not play with, causing chaos on the ice. The score going into the third period was 7-2 Wootton.

By the time the third period rolled around the rockets had got into their groove and pushed back. RM had possession for the majority of the beginning of the period, but again the challenges of penalties became apparent. Lodgeston received his fourth of the night, this time for roughing. With the loss of a key defensemen Wootton scored early while on the power play. As RM was hanging their heads and not skating to their full potential, Wootton scored yet another goal. However the second line did not get down and were able to bury one late in the third. This goal was scored by powerhouse Ryan Grossman scored with assists from Adrian Martella and Sam Shawn.

Although the game did not turn out as hoped, the rockets had tremendous goalkeeping by senior Ben Polster. Even though Polster had played the night before in the JV victory against Churchill’s second varsity team, he came out wanting to win. He did everything he could for the team and gave them a fighting chance.