Movie review: “Mockingjay, Part 2”

Katniss Everdeen may be the hero of Panem, but Jennifer Lawrence is the hero of “Mockingjay, Part 2.” In a film that turns into action sequence after action sequence for most of its second half, Lawrence provides an emotional center that makes what goes on around her more than just b-roll of carnage. Through her eyes, the final attack on the Capitol is felt profoundly by the audience – if only the rest of the movie could live up to its heroine.

That is not to say that the film is bad. However, after the promise in “Mockingjay, Part 1” for an explosive finale, the viewer feels a little let down once Part 2 ends. To be fair, “Mockingjay” is widely considered the worst book in the original Hunger Games trilogy – but with some rewrites and changes, the film version of its second half could have improved on the source material.

Unfortunately, it does not. Many scenes drag on for much longer than needed. And whereas the love triangle between Katniss, Gale, and Peeta is mostly played down in previous films, it is shown in full force here – whether that is good or bad is up to individual viewers.

It helps, though, that Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth have improved their acting skills. Rather than just posing and reciting lines, they actually act in this film, making their characters sympathetic and believable. Lawrence still outshines both of them; her ability to communicate myriad emotions with a single glance is truly uncanny.

Many actors come and go in what are practically cameos, their screentime severely reduced from previous films. In the ensemble cast, Jena Malone as Johanna Mason (perfectly balancing sass and PTSD) and Julianne Moore as President Coin stand out. Seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his final film roles is also quite emotional.

Many key scenes from the novel are faithfully recreated. Die-hard fans will recognize when certain events are about to happen, which will probably create a more enjoyable experience for them. The hardest part for me to endure was the sewers, for reasons which I will not spoil for those who have not read the novel.

Ultimately, the feeling this film gave off was that the story of the girl on fire had been left to burn for too long. But to paraphrase what Katniss says, there are much worse ways to end a beloved franchise.