A Guide to RM Sports

Members+of+the++RM+swim+and+dive+team+pose+after+winning+the+state+championship.+
Livia Venditti
Members of the RM swim and dive team pose after winning the state championship.

Richard Montgomery has seen huge and unprecedented success during all three 2023-2024 seasons. In addition to winning multiple state championships, RM teams have had a dramatic increase in college commitments. Last year, the class of 2023 consisted of five commitments. This year there have been 14 commitments.

What is the difference between JV and Varsity?

At Richard Montgomery, Varsity is the highest level of team you can make per sport. “JV” stands for Junior Varsity and is the second tier of teams in a sport. It is important to note that not all sports offer JV and in many cases, Varsity can mean very different things per sport. Additionally, some sports consist of a corollary team. According to MCPS, “The goal of corollary sports is to increase interscholastic athletics participation opportunities for all students, in particular students with disabilities.”

Fall

Cross Country

Contrary to popular belief, cross country is not the same as track and field. Although both sports consist of various forms of running, track and field involve a variety of distances while cross country only includes races of one distance: the 5k. This year the girls team placed 5th in states while the boys team were just one place shy of qualifying. “We’re building a very strong base, and we have a very strong outlook for the future as well,” Head Coach Ken Sonner told the tide in November.

Teams: Boys Varsity, Girls Varsity, Co-Ed Varsity

Field Hockey

RM Field hockey started off the 2023-2023 season very strong by winning their preseason tournament. With a younger team of only two seniors, the varsity team is expected to remain very similar. This year, three players were selected for the all-division team and two people for the MCPS all-county team.

Teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity

Football

As with most long rivalries, the years of success for each team often go back and forth. The rivalry between our RM Rockets and the Churchill Bulldogs is no different. After an interesting season filled with triumph and loss, the Rockets made it to the first round of the playoffs where they would face the Bulldogs. Unfortunately, the Rockets were unable to advance. 

Teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity

Girls Volleyball

Adding to the history books Girls Varsity Volleyball won the State Championship this year for the first time after defeating the Leonardtown Raiders 3-1.The Washington Post placed RM 5th in their final volleyball rankings after the team started the season unranked. “We’re planning on [going back to states] and honestly expecting it now,” Ema Djordjevic said following the championship game.

Teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity

Soccer

RM Girls Varsity soccer made history this year, starting a trend that defines RM athletics in the 2023-2024 season, by advancing to regionals alongside the Boys Varsity team. As a testament to the team’s success, Junior McKinley Heaven committed to play Division 1 at University of Maryland early in the school year.

Teams: Boys Varsity, Boys Junior Varsity, Girls Varsity, Girls Junior Varsity

Winter

Basketball:

RM basketball has been trending upwards with both teams traveling far on the road to a state championship. Boys Varsity basketball had a thrilling rise to the state championship semi-finals where they unfortunately lost after a suprising buzzer beater. Additionally, Girls Varsity basketball made it to state quarter-finals with top players further elevating their games.

Ice Hockey

RM Ice Hockey, although lesser known, saw an outstanding performance from their JV team. After struggling through injuries at the start of the season, varsity was unable to advance to the championship final. Taking up the mantle, RM JV Ice Hockey was able to secure a championship victory this year. “It shows we have a talented and deep program because our JV team is so good. It bodes well that we have strong underclassmen,” economics teacher and Coach Christopher Hinsvark told the Tide in February.

Teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity

Swim and Dive

RM Swim saw one of its most successful seasons of the decade. The team finished highly decorated after winning Metros, Divisonals and finally the State Championship. In addition to their success in meets, six swimmers have committed this year: Elliot Lee, Natalia Evans-Gibson, Livia Venditti, Sarah Eliason, Shad Frantz and Alex Nguyen. Chemistry teacher and Coach Akshay Gandhi was named coach of the year as well.“The next goals are to continue to develop the younger athletes on the team and build up our team culture so this could be the start of many more great things to come,” Coach Gandhi said following states.

Spring

Baseball

RM Varsity Baseball won their division this year after 30 years of waiting. “Coming into the season, we had high expectations for RM baseball including winning the division and so far, we’ve reached what we set out to do,” senior Jayden Mandler said at the beginning of the season. RM Baseball has also fielded a commitment from Mason Roth who will be playing for the Norwich Cadets next year.

Teams: Varsity, Junior Varsity

Lacrosse

This year RM Boys Varsity Lacrosse won the regional championship against the Titans. After recovering from an injury, star goalie and freshman Charlie Finnegan lifted helped propel the team to the win. In addition to their success as a team, Senior Daniel Tofig has committed to play at Shenandoah University. “This is history right here,” Coach Steve Puhl said after the regional championship, “I’m just proud of the boys.”

Softball

Info:

This year, RM Varsity Softball took home its first regional title in 10 years. “For me, that game was the culmination of all of our hard work; it is really special every game we play is us making history,” senior shortstop Pearl Mitchell said at the end of the season. She has committed to play at MIT next year.

Teams:Varsity, Junior Varsity

If you would like to voice your opinion on an issue you feel is relevant to our community, please do so here. Anyone is able and welcome to submit a Letter to the Editor, regardless of journalistic experience or writing skills. Submissions may be published either online or in a print issue.