Les Miserables comes to an end after four highly successful performances

As the curtain closed on the final performance of Richard Montgomery’s production of Les Misérables, the lights rise to reveal a nearly full house, all at standing ovation. RM’s Black Maskers put together four stunning performances of the much-anticipated Les Misérables, which showed November 13, 14, 20, and 21, each performance drawing hundreds of spectators. As the musical season closed, cast, crew, and pit orchestra members looked back on the months of grueling work that went into creating such an outstanding performance.

I feel sad that it’s over [but] happy that we all made it so incredible. Disbelief that it’s over and yet I feel somehow a very satisfying feeling of completion and closure,” said senior Judah Canizares, who played the challenging role of Jean Valjean in the production. His portrayal of the character garnered only the most positive of reviews, reducing some to tears as he played Valjean in both his most vulnerable and powerful moments, all with a dedication rivaled only by fellow cast and crew members. Senior Leslie Schneider, who played Eponine, shared her experience: “I’m actually really sad now that the production is over because it was such an unbelievably amazing experience and I enjoyed my role so much.”

Long nights were spent on stage and in the pit during the making of this musical, but these hours did not come without their benefits. As Canizares shared, “It wasn’t even just the principals bonding with each other. Personally, I was able to bond and become better friends with many amazing people in this show, for which I am extremely thankful.”

People behind the scenes shared similar sentiments. Junior Gabrielle Scott (makeup) said, “I don’t think people outside of drama realize how close these shows make us; they see the show as it is on stage, the culmination of all of our hard work, but to us it is so much more. It is a masterpiece that we have created with our family. We are there for each other, just as we are there for the show and the audience. And when a show closes, it’s almost like the end of a family reunion, everyone goes home and you feel a bit empty. We all know there will be a next time, and it will be wonderful, but it will be different. We will never have this show again.”

For the seniors this last performance was especially hard, as they faced the reality that this was truly the last time they will ever be part of such a unique group of people and have such an experience. “The main thing I feel is an overwhelming sense of pride that I was able to be a part of such an amazing production,” said senior Jessica Lee, who played cello as part of the famed pit orchestra, directed by Dr. Perry. “Even when playing, I couldn’t take my eyes off the cast and the set, and couldn’t stop listening to the other musicians around me. I was also incredibly grateful to be able to work with such awesome people and hope everyone else felt the same.”

But even as drama members are still wiping away tears of joy, underclassmen already began to look forward to the Black Maskers’ next production. “Of course I’m excited for the next show, it’s another chance to get the family together again and make something new. It’s never quite the same as the last show, but it’s always spectacular,” Scott said. Violist Sarah Eng shared her enthusiasm: “I know that our consistency in knocking people’s socks off won’t stop in 2017, or any year after than. [I’m] not excited to lose our seniors, [but] very excited to continue doing something I love.”

As this unique experience ends for so many involved in this production of Les Mis, people look back on the sleepless nights and frantic homework sessions with a nostalgia that is hard to find elsewhere. Keeping with the decades-long tradition, RM’s Black maskers has produced yet another fantastic musical, and there is no doubt that next year’s production, despite a different cast, crew, and pit, will also share this year’s dedication, enthusiasm, and sheer emotion that made Les Mis an unforgettable experience for all. As Gavroche said, “[Our] theater never closes, and the curtain’s never down.”