March Madness: South Carolina gets revenge over Iowa with 87-75 win

Christiana Vucea
March Madness began on Tuesday, March 19 with the first four games and concluded on April 6 and 8 with the final four games.

In a historic win versus the Iowa Hawkeyes, the South Carolina Gamecocks took home the national title and finished out their season with a perfect record. After getting knocked out of the tournament by the Hawkeyes in 2023, the Gamecocks delivered with energy and composure that helped lift them to the championship. 

Championship Game Recap

In the first quarter, Iowa showcased early dominance by scoring the first 10 points before South Carolina was able to make it on the scoreboard. The Hawkeyes utilized their speed and agility to keep the methodic Gamecocks on their toes. Star guard Caitlin Clark took over the first quarter, setting 3 NCAA records. With 18 points scored by Clark in the first quarter, she broke the record for most points scored in a single quarter for an NCAA championship game and became the leading scorer in the NCAA tournament with 480 points. Additionally, she became the first NCAA Division One player to make 200 three-pointers in a single season. The first quarter ended with Iowa up 27-20.

In the second quarter, the Gamecocks shifted from their slow set-up offensive tactic to their unstoppable defense, preventing Clark from scoring for eight minutes. After continually boxing out the Hawkeyes, the Gamecocks made multiple pushes toward the net. Although most shots were missed, it was Iowa’s inability to pick up rebounds that allowed South Carolina to tie up the game halfway through the second quarter. In response, Iowa regrouped and began to mirror South Carolina’s previous momentum and set up their three-point plays. The Gamecocks paid the price for their aggressive defense with three star players ending up with 2 fouls each. These calls allowed the Hawkeyes to build up to the Gamecocks’ lead. With Iowa’s possession in the last 10 seconds of the quarter, Clark went to crossover for her infamous jump shot only to have the ball knocked out of her hands and taken the other way for a layup. The Gamecocks ended the first half up 49-46 while Clark remained uncharacteristically rattled.

In the third and fourth quarters we saw an age-old debate be settled: who wins, the best offensive or best defensive team? Iowa set up play after play but were unable to convert facing South Carolina’s defense. With Clark beginning to tire, Iowa needed someone to step up and unfortunately, no players rose to the occasion. 

South Carolina Coach Dawn Staley’s key to success

Coach Staley has spent the year building a winning team. Aside from winning, the Gamecocks’ play was unusual in comparison to other top teams. It is common for teams with top players to center their offense around their star as we saw with Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers. Although this centering strategy is commonly used, it may have been Iowa’s undoing as South Carolina seemed to highlight a new player each quarter. “We only have 11 players. Everybody’s going to get an opportunity to play,” Coach Staley said in an early season interview with The Daily Gamecock. With continual substitutions throughout the championship game, Coach Staley was able to keep her players fresh and penetrate the Hawkeyes’ defense by not overusing one specific player. This was a smart choice as Clark trended towards exhaustion late in the game.

Caitlin Clark’s Legacy

Although many have speculated the legitimacy of crowning Clark with the G.O.A.T title without a championship ring, her outstanding seasons with the Hawkeyes, impact on women’s sports and incredible sportsmanship are a testament to her unmatched game. Ending her college career with 30 points in the final game, Clark has solidified herself in the history books and the hearts of fans. Clark will also leave the sport of women’s basketball with a larger fanbase than when she entered college. Each of her final three collegiate basketball games broke the viewing record for a women’s college basketball game, with the championship game receiving over 18 million views, the most views for any basketball game (pro and college) in the last five years. 

If you would like to voice your opinion on an issue you feel is relevant to our community, please do so here. Anyone is able and welcome to submit a Letter to the Editor, regardless of journalistic experience or writing skills. Submissions may be published either online or in a print issue.