Tri-athlete Alexander has the work ethic of a star

Senior Daniel Alexander has sports on his schedule every single season of the year. His dedication to football in the fall, track in the spring, and basketball in the summer and winter, has made him a one-man sports machine. The 6-foot senior is known for his incredible work ethic and physicality.

Alexander, who has played sports almost all his life, can run a 4.71 second 40 yard dash and has a wingspan of 77 inches. The make of the senior is truly amazing, but the performances he puts up for RM are even more incredible.

Alexander is a huge part of RM’s early success in football. Coming into the game against Wootton, Alexander had already caught nine receptions, accumulated 100 yards, and notched five touchdowns as a receiver for the team.

He has played football for 11 years now. Starting as the quarterback for the Rockets two years ago, he has since switched to starting wide receiver and safety. The transition “wasn’t very hard because as quarterback I learned how the other positions played, so when I switched I already knew the position,” he said.

The senior loves all aspects of football. But what is most apparent is that he loves winning for his school.

Photo by Kevin Pan

The season is “going well, we’re practicing hard, and finally getting some wins,” Alexander noted. On the field, Alexander has lined up against tough corners and safeties of other schools.

”Whenever someone tries to be physical with me, I try to match the physicality of them,” Alexander said. He also said that he has gotten better at running routes more precisely which allows him to have better chemistry with sophomore quarterback Spencer Silverstein.

Alexander started track in his junior year, competing in high jump events. “Daniel’s a natural leader, so him coming out adds a lot of leadership,” Coach Davy Rogers said. “He’s a quick learner, very coachable, so him jumping last year came naturally to him.”

Alexander immediately felt the impact of running and jumping full-time in the spring season. “It helps your pace throughout games, and helps you run by opening your stride up,” Alexander said. “I only started last year, yet I feel like I’ve made huge improvements on what I can do on the court and the field right now.”

“Every single sport you do needs speed,” Coach Rogers said. “Daniel’s doing jumping so we’re doing a lot of strength stuff to work on his jumping. That strength helps come basketball season and that speed helps come football season.”

Alexander, one of the football captains, was also a summer league captain for the RM basketball team. He is a shooting guard and forward and loves basketball equally as much as football.

Photo by Kevin Pan

His track and football training have translated into superb basketball performances. “Playing safety has helped me play defense in basketball,” Alexander keenly noted. The senior is truly resilient on the defensive side of the ball for both sports. His goal for the upcoming basketball year is to help the team go further into the playoffs.

RM had an extraordinary regular season but had their season cut short in the playoffs. “We know what we have to do,” Alexander said referencing his desire for redemption in this year’s upcoming basketball season.

“He’s probably our best leader. He’s very vocal on and off the floor with the team. Daniel also has an incredible basketball IQ,” Coach David Breslaw said. “He knows what he, as well as the rest of the team, should be doing at any given moment.”

A huge part of the Rockets’ Cinderella season last year, Alexander was instrumental in key victories against Rockville and on senior night against Gaithersburg with strong defensive performances.

Alexander is truly a unique player on the court. “Across the stat sheet, he’s able to contribute. Whether it’s points, rebounds, assists, or hustle plays like loose balls, Daniel is always able to provide for the time. And I don’t think many other players are capable of doing that.”

Article by Evan Scheinberg and Neil Duggal.

This article originally ran in the print edition of the Tide on October 23rd