Hallmark movies remain a classic holiday staple

Selena Li
One of the most popular Hallmark movies, “Christmas Under Wraps,” starring Candace Cameron Bure and David O’Donnell, was produced in 2014 and still holds the record for Hallmark’s highest broadcast premiere ratings.

Hallmark movies are a staple of the holiday season. The classic and timeless movies provide a feeling of comfort during the holiday season for many. From the stories they tell to how they are made, they set the mood for the comforting holiday season.
Although Hallmark movies can be overwhelmingly cliche, they are a classic part of Christmas. The warm atmosphere that the movies create goes perfectly with the feeling of the season–joy, warmth and excitement. While some may feel that the cliche aspects of the movie are boring and repetitive, many find comfort in these cliches as it reminds them of the holidays.

“Well, obviously, there’s always room for improvement. But I think that cheesy production of it makes it what it is; it makes the Hallmark movie,” sophomore Allison Kelley said.

Several Hallmark movies, such as “Crown for Christmas” and “A Royal Winter” follow the same cliche of a small-town girl meeting a prince. Some recognize the movies as a staple around the holidays.

“I think they are cliche, but I still enjoy them because I feel like it just gives you a certain feeling, and it just reminds you of…Christmas time and like a feeling of comfort,” sophomore Vivian Stoeva said.

The production of these movies is well done, considering the limited budgets. The settings ensure the film brings comfort and joy, especially during holidays. A typical Hallmark movie setting is in a small town, perhaps neighboring a tree farm.
Additionally, the crafted storylines represent the movie’s theme well. Whether it be a classic holiday romance or a coming-of-age movie, each film is produced with careful thought and effort.

I think they are cliche, but I still enjoy them because I feel like it just gives you a certain feeling, and it just reminds you of…Christmas time and like a feeling of comfort.

— Vivian Stoeva

While there are many Hallmark movies to choose from, each with a different story, many people have favorites.
“My favorite hallmark movie is ‘A Christmas To Remember’ because it shows that if everyone tells you that you’re supposed to be a certain way, subconsciously, you’re going to act like that even if deep down you’re not how they think,” sophomore Hannah Carter said.

While the movies are usually lighthearted and centered around the holidays, they can also represent valuable life lessons, as seen in “The Princess Switch,” with themes of generosity and kindness.

Hallmark movies are also an excellent way to relax with friends during the holidays. The lively and upbeat themes of the movies allow for a way to wind down with family, and the channel is broadening beyond Christmas. In October, Hallmark announced a new Hanukkah-focused romantic comedy titled “Round and Round,” released on Dec. 10.

Some students agree that while Hallmark movies are a bit silly and redundant, they are also timeless and a holiday staple.
“They definitely are cliche, but I feel like that’s the point of it. It gives people comfort, and it’s just fun,” Kelley said.