New head coach leads Varsity Ice Hockey to hot start

Asher Herman
Junior Tom Stone prepares to shoot in a RM varsity hockey game on Nov. 3 against Quince Orchard.

The RM Rockets have had huge strokes of success at the beginning of the 2023-24 winter season. But, the road to get there was not as easy as it seems. After former head coach David Martella stepped down, economics teacher Chris Hinsvark was left with not only a change in position but also an opportunity.

Though he takes on this new role with exceptional experience, he admits to the slight increase in pressure that goes along with jumping from assistant to head coach. “Now I’m…responsible for like the running of all the practices and the games and the lines and everything, but I have two of the assistant coaches who worked with me last year who are back again and they are just invaluable in planning practices and playing in games and running the team, running the bench during our games,” Mr. Hinsvark said.

Despite the pressure, Coach Hinsvark has helped his team start stronger than last season. Though they lost two of their better skaters to injury, the Rockets maintained their push towards excellence. “We had some hiccups at the beginning…so we were a little worried about how the season would start,” Mr. Hinsvark said. Although his team has only lost to Wootton, Coach Hinsvark remains tense in anticipation of a future game against Churchill who has historically been tough to beat.

Additionally, Mr. Hinsvark has supported a shift in roles on his team. “I think the big thing that’s happened with our team this year is we’ve had a lot of our players step up who previously had, like, lower or limited roles in the game,” Mr. Hinsvark said. With many players graduating last year, rising seniors and juniors had big shoes to fill. Regardless, the team has seen a wide variety of those generating offense which has been integral to their success. 

Not all changes have been made on the ice though. In addition to many practices, Mr. Hinsvark is working tirelessly to build his ideal team culture. “We want to keep up the team identity, which is like, to work hard, to skate hard, to hustle and to have everyone contribute.”