Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens opens for this holiday season

The Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens is one of many light installations that students can visit in the community.
Christiana Vucea

The Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens is a walking trail decorated with an elaborate display of holiday lights. This year, the light exhibit is open from Nov. 17 through Dec. 31, with the exceptions of Nov. 20-23 and Dec. 24-25. 

The Garden of Lights exhibit consists of a half-mile trail that includes light installations with flowers, insects and animals. The event runs for four hours from 5:50 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

This year, a new area called the Azalea Garden, which features a curtain of lights that flickers to the beat of the music played during the event, has been added to the display.  

Some RM students have enjoyed walking through the Garden of Lights in the past. 

“It was really fun to go with friends and family to see all the lights,” sophomore Sara Benachenhou said. 

Brookside Gardens is a public garden in Wheaton that includes an Aquatic Garden, a Japanese Style Garden and a Butterfly Garden, along with other attractions. The garden is free every day for all visitors from sunrise to sunset. 

I’ve never been there but I’ve seen many videos and photos…I think it’s very beautiful.

— Boyana Peychinova

Some teachers at RM enjoy visiting the gardens throughout the year.

“I’ve been there many times,” Astronomy teacher John Pisanic said. “I like wandering around and seeing all the beautiful plants.”  

However, Mr. Pisanic does not plan on attending the Garden of Lights. 

“I like the plants but I don’t like the lights,” he said. 

In order to see the light exhibit, visitors must purchase tickets online. Tickets for this outdoor walk-through exhibit cost $10 for visitors ages five and older and are non-refundable. Additionally, the garden imposes some restrictions on visitors, such as prohibiting food, drinks, balloons and pets except for service animals. 

Moreover, it is recommended that those who attend, dress according to the weather as the event will take place even during rain or snow. 

Many students are interested in seeing the light display at the gardens and plan to see it this year. 

“I’ve never been there but I’ve seen many videos and photos…I think it’s very beautiful,” sophomore Boyana Peychinova said.