COVID-19 outbreak at MCPS Elementary School causes classroom to wear masks temporarily

MCPS has continued to distribute masks and testing kits to staff and students.
Chloe Choi

Although the COVID quarantine era ended around two years ago and daily life has gradually returned to normal, health analysts and professionals have become increasingly concerned over the new developments of the virus over the past couple of months. 

From August 4 to September 2, hospitalizations have jumped 8.7 percent, and deaths have been up 4.5 percent from September 3 to September 9, according to the CDC. Most experts, however, are not terribly concerned over this development. Former National Institute of Allergic and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director, Anthony Fauci, who made numerous skeptical statements regarding the severity of older waves such as Delta and Omicron, has shared he is not totally worried over the new wave.

“The chances of this [new COVID wave] being an overwhelming rush of cases and hospitalizations is probably low,” Fauci said in an ABC News interview. “Everyone has been vaccinated or had COVID by now, so those of us who survived to this point have some immunity to it,” University of Maryland Medical Professor Don Milton said

Although the recent CDC statistics may sound scary, experts also stressed that this new wave has been much less lethal and severe when compared to Delta and Omicron. In fact, it seems that despite some in the medical community raising alarms over a new “Delta-like” wave, most people have already moved on from using the tactics of the past to combat such a rise in cases. 

I don’t think compulsory masking is necessary at schools right now. There doesn’t seem to be an alarming system-wide rise in cases.

— Fotie Tiam

What recently had sparked controversy was a Silver Spring elementary school’s decision to reintroduce compulsory masking in a specific classroom after several students had tested positive. The school, Rosemary Hills, sent out an email to parents in early September requiring that students in the class will have to wear masks for the next ten days. 

This caused some criticism from people in Montgomery County and certain politicians, the most high profile being senator Ted Cruz. This is because many believe that it is not yet necessary to resume wearing masks.
“I don’t think compulsory masking is necessary at schools right now. There doesn’t seem to be an alarming system-wide rise in cases,” senior Fotie Tiam said.

Some students believe that MCPS should be more transparent regarding the increase in cases and their guidelines. 

I think just an announcement that COVID is spiking and people should be more careful, especially if they have immunocompromised people at home,” junior Vihaan Rathi said.

However, students believe that MCPS’s distribution of masks and testing kits is an effective way to protect students and staff from a rise in cases. 

”[the policy] provides us with the resources we need to feel safe,” Tiam said. 

Although many may agree that Rosemary Hills Elementary School should not have implemented compulsory masking, some students are open to the idea of expanding future guidelines if cases continue to rise.

“If numbers continue to rise and many schools across the county are having trouble, then I agree that compulsory masking is a good call,” Tiam said.

Despite the recent COVID rise, it appears that most experts remain unconcerned over potential hospitalizations. Students at RM understand the potential seriousness, and urge continued vaccinations to prepare students for a potential “Omicron-like” wave.

“The best route is just for everyone to get vaccinated and for epidemiologists to stay on their toes to make sure they can create something to counter anything resistant to vaccines,” Rathi said.