RM and Churchill settle for a 0-0 tie

Ruby Thier
The varsity girls soccer team gathers before their game against Churchill HS.

The Richard Montgomery Rockets girls varsity soccer team took on the Winston Churchill Bulldogs in a Friday night home game, cheered on by a large crowd. After a 0-0 tie, RM sits at 2-2.

Churchill continually forced RM into their defensive zone in the first few minutes. Churchill players quickly pushed towards the net but were angled out by RM’s exceptional defense. Churchill made a counterattack and got a good shot on goal, but RM goalkeeper Julie Schwieters made the save. 

Midway through the first half, a Churchill player grabbed an RM player’s neck and appeared to lock her in a chokehold. The crowd erupted in alarm and frustration before the referee gave a yellow card to the Churchill player. This was the moment needed to fuel RM, and they began to put pressure on the Churchill defense. RM maintained possession and made plays toward the net, with Churchill receiving another foul before halftime.

At the start of the second half, RM freshman defender Sydney Jackson cleared a breakaway, saving a potential goal. “Sydney’s defense was crucial,” RM JV center-back Belle Breychak, who was in the stands, said. RM and Churchill continued to go back and forth as shot after shot was saved. The buzzer sounded, bringing an end to regulation time.

During the first overtime half, the stalemate repeated. As the second overtime half began though, RM remained in Churchill’s half of the field for the majority of the time. As seconds ticked off the clock, Churchill rushed the ball but was unsuccessful. Back in the offensive zone, with 30 seconds to go, RM Captain Maddie Walsh collapsed on the field after a hit. Following the hit, the crowd demanded a foul. Despite the collision, the referee made no call. The seconds ticked down until the clock hit zero and fans were left with a tie.

“I think what really worked well was our ability to win the midfield battle and win our 50/50’s,” sophomore forward Allie Kelly said. “I think we still need to improve on our communication throughout the whole game. It sometimes gets really quiet, so we just need to remember to talk to each other more.”