Rockville mayoral debates heat up

Although the attendance was scant on October 22nd at F Scott Fitzgerald Theatre, the Rockville mayoral debate revealed deep divides on the major issues facing our town. Sima Osdoby, the challenger, is running with the Team Rockville slate. The incumbent, Bridget Newton, pushed prudence. Her defending slate emphasized the need to protect neighborhoods and public facilities, while Osdoby pushed growth.

Their differing focus first emerged during the opening statements. From the right of the table, Osdoby delivered a strong message: we need to legislate to reinvigorate centers of commerce. This would become a familiar refrain during the debate. Newton confidently asserted the necessity of funding new public transportation projects, arguing that they would reduce congestion.

Next, the candidates discussed parks. Newton played on her experience, harkening back to her promise that no citizen would have more than a “ten minute walk” to a park. Osdoby also mentioned her experience as a community organizer, connecting it to the need for indoor community centers, as well as outdoor parks.

Back in the city center, the two adversaries took stances on highrise development. Osdoby was not afraid of density. She advocated for tall, dense development around centers of transit, moving more people closer to transportation. This, she said, would be complemented by working with the county to establish bus rapid transit (BRT) lanes. Newton took a different position, insisting that we must prioritize green space over high rise development. She clashed with Osdoby over BRT lanes, saying that securing funding was unrealistic. But she did agree with her opponent on some points: if there must be dense development, it should be near transportation.

Their enthusiasm about other forms of transportation was reflected in their speeches on highways. Osdoby’s core message was clear: “forceful advocacy.” She hopes to work with the state and the county to secure the highways Rockville needs. Newton again defers to her record. She fought for highway funding on the legislative committee, but supports adhering to state standards to secure infrastructure support as mayor.

Discussions got especially firey over affordable housing. The city has a requirement that builders include affordable housing in every project built, ensuring opportunity for all. Newton wants more. She would push for more restrictions, calling for a larger percent of units to be affordable for low income families, and would support private aid groups. Osdoby also praised affordable housing, but noted that our upper-class area presents issues. She attacked Newton on her record, pointing out that she opposed new, affordable housing developments in the past.

Next, the candidates discussed a particularly important issue for RM: school overcrowding. The key factor was the Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance (APFS). This city policy attempted to prevent schools from overcrowding by placing limits on new development when schools are at more than 110% capacity. Recently, it has been repealed. Osdoby supports this, she called the council’s actions “absolutely correct.” According to her, it stymied growth and kept new, young residents out of the housing market. Instead, she proposes to work with the state and county to secure funds to address the issue.

Newton takes the opposite stance on the APFS. She sees it as a great success; in her opinion, solving overcrowding is more important than development. But as it is repealed, she would like to reopen closed elementary schools, increasing our school system’s capacity and chipping away at the overcrowding epidemic.

But the biggest division between the two came on business. Newton contends that Rockville Town Center is not dying, it is “striving.” Her opponent doesn’t claim it is dying, but says it doesn’t have enough density. We need to expand town center, and begin to develop Rockville pike. She would do this by bringing in new businesses, which she says we need to be a competitive city. According to her, they boost revenue and jobs in the long term. Newton, however, is suspicious of large businesses. She only supports incentivising “good businesses.”

When asked to describe their leadership styles, the two candidates showed subtle differences. Both focused on their whole team, but Osdoby also emphasized personal strength. She characterized herself as forceful, and attacked Newton’s decision to abstain on many key votes. Newton simply called herself “collaborative,” and stressed her record of making partnerships in the city council. Their respective messages were reaffirmed during closing statements.

When asked for comment on key student issues, Newton said she was willing to meet with students, and was excited to hear student voices. She cited her experience testifying before the Board of Education, and promised to continue to advocate with them if elected. Osdoby said she was “concerned” about students at Richard Montgomery, particularly when traveling to and from school. The challenger remarked on our chaotic traffic congestion, and would be open to hearing measures to make Fleet Street safer.

The winner of this election will have the mayoral position for the next four years in Rockville.