Staff, students cook up devious April Fools’ shenanigans

Common+April+Fools+jokes+involve+replacing+food+items+or+seasoning+with+unpleasant+tasting%2C+but+otherwise+harmless%2C+atypical+ingredients.+
Selena Li
Common April Fools jokes involve replacing food items or seasoning with unpleasant tasting, but otherwise harmless, atypical ingredients.

April Fools’ Day, the annual day of jokes, shenanigans, pranks and more, starts off the first day of the month of April every year. Instead of other annual holidays where gifts are exchanged and parties are thrown, April Fools’ Day is filled with lighthearted mischief and jokesters exposing their actions by shouting “April Fools!” at the recipient of their tricks. 

There are many theories as to why this day is significant and why it became a day of hoaxes, however, there is no confirmed origin. According to Almanac, one such theory is that the holiday “dates back to ancient Rome and a festival called Hilaria held at the end of March, where people would dress up in disguises and mock or imitate others.”

April Fools’ Day may also be linked to the spring equinox, when nature fools people with unpredictable weather. “April Fools’ Day is just a fun way to start off spring,” said technology and computer science resource teacher Kurt Oelschlaeger. 

The holiday then spread throughout Britain in the 1700s. According to History.com, some of the most common pranks included sending people on fake, dead-end errands, and pinning tails or “kick me” signs on people’s backs.

Precaution should definitely be taken throughout the day of this event. Notable practical jokes have appeared on radio and TV stations, websites, newspapers and have even been done by celebrities or in large crowds. “April Fools’ Day is untrustworthy and makes many people jumpy,” junior Charles West said.

A variety of pranks can be planned anywhere, and by anybody. Freshman Ana Djordjevic got pranked by her teacher in seventh grade. “The first thing she said when we walked into the classroom was that we had a pop-quiz, and the whole class fell for it and started freaking out,” Djordjevic said. 

However, although teachers can be the tricksters on this holiday, they can let their guard down and be the gullible ones too. “So I got caught pretty hard by a news article this week. I saw a headline that a guy discovered a flaw in Teslas from 2012 to now that allowed them to be unlocked using electric type Pokémon cards,” Mr. Oelschlaeger said. “I thought there’s no way this could be true, but I was curious so I clicked on it. It got me pretty good.” 

Most April Fools’ jokes are simple but unexpected. However, some pranksters are in the tradition of plotting elaborately. (Selena Li)

According to Statisa, “Best friends, spouses and siblings are most at risk, however, with 76, 73 and 72 percent of pranksters considering them potential targets respectively.” Little brother and freshman Theo Leshner said. “I put toothpaste in my brother’s Oreos one year.”

Senior and older sister Lianna Meklir said she is the “Queen of April Fools’ Day pranks.” She confessed her devious list of practical jokes she has played on her little sister and other family members. “I always switch out the sugar in my parents’ coffee sugar container with salt and it always gets them, and one time I put baby powder in my moms blow dryer. One year I put saran wrap underneath my grandpa’s toilet seats very tight so you can’t see it, and you know, it gets messy. Also, I paint clear nail polish on my sister’s bar of soap so it doesn’t work and she gets confused.”

April Fool’s Day is celebrated around the world, and is a global phenomenon. Many other countries take part in the silliness of this day. 

For example, in Italy, France, Belgium and some parts of Switzerland and Canada the first day of April is referred to as “April Fish,” and a longstanding tradition is to stick paper fish on the victim’s back without them knowing. 

In many Spanish-speaking countries, April Fools’ Day is celebrated in late December and is called “Day of the Innocents.” Brazil calls April 1st the “Day of Lies.” In the southeastern Spanish town of Ibi, there is an annual town-wide food fight on the “Day of the Innocents.” 

Ireland tradition is to give someone an “important letter,” and ask them to pass it on to a named person. The letter keeps getting read and passed on, and when opened the letter contains the words “send the fool further.”

Although the exact origin of this celebrated day remains a mystery, the embrace of April Fools’ Day jokes made by the media and major brands has ensured that this unofficial holiday will remain as a long standing tradition all over the world. Having a day of goofiness is a nice break from reality, and is a fun way to joke around with everybody that celebrates. 

If you would like to voice your opinion on an issue you feel is relevant to our community, please do so here. Anyone is able and welcome to submit a Letter to the Editor, regardless of journalistic experience or writing skills. Submissions may be published either online or in a print issue.