MCR meets to discuss final exams and other issues

When MCPS announced that the 2015-2016 school year would be the last year final exams would take place, students were very surprised to say the least. As of now, however, there has not yet been a viable solution to replace exams. That is what the Montgomery County Regional Student Government Association, MCR for short, met to discuss earlier this week along with other issues as as well.

For those who don’t know, MCR is the county wide high school SGA that deals with the local political issues in accordance with the voices of the students. They work together with various counterparts, including the SMOB, to achieve their agendas. MCR contains an executive board which meets frequently in the pursuing of the agenda.

On October 26th, the Montgomery County Regional Student Government Association held its monthly executive board meeting in which the officers and affiliates of MCR gather to discuss upcoming events, political stances, and issues going on the county.

The executive board meeting, held at the Carver Educational Center, lasted from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with MCR officers, liaisons, directors, and deputies in attendance. The board discussed a variety issues including their newly formed grant program, stance on the new options that will replace final exams, and planning for the General Assembly that will be taking place next Tuesday.

The new grant program was initially introduced by MCR president David Edimo and is now being carried out by the organization’s Financial Department. They are working through the application process for the grant which will allow clubs to request money for usage in their club activities. The grant requires these clubs to pertain to leadership in order for them to be permitted to receive a grant.

In addition, due to the Board of Education’s new decision to eliminate final exams, MCR has been voting on its stance on this issue. The final exams can be replaced with one of four options: an average of the two quarters’ percentages, a trend decision, an average of the two quarters’ letter grades, or an assessment created by the teachers. MCR will give their stance at their next General Assembly.

With regards to this general assembly, due to miscommunications, it will be held a week after originally planned at Magruder High School and the agenda includes various presentations and information that will be conducted by the MCR Executive Board.

The next executive board will be in the following month and students are encouraged to learn more about the organization and participate in county SGA events.