RM boys basketball starts the season off strong

Noah Stephenson, Sports Writer

RM Varsity Boys Basketball returned to action with a 63-43 victory over Rockville High school Tuesday, Dec. 6. This Rockets team is fairly unique compared to previous teams as they play a lot of guards who can all handle the ball and really shoot it well. This team also has a very deep bench which showed in the opener as 10 different RM players scored.

The Rockets starting five of senior EJ Eaglin, junior Dante Mayo Jr, senior Nathan Peschin, sophomore Khalil Wilson, and junior Max Meringoff got off to a good start defensively, causing turnovers and getting out for easy layups in transition and never looking back. RM has a strong bench with freshman guard Tavares “Boogie” Vaughn-Cooper, senior guard Jackson Jones, junior guard Elijah Williams, and sophomore guard De’marean Frazier, among others. The Rockets dominated much of the game. They did a good job keeping the pressure on Rockville, mitigating any chances towards the end of the game.

This is a team that has some newcomers, but also has a group of guys that have been playing together for multiple years. Senior guard Fin Shiddiq insists that each individual must continue to focus on one game at a time and continue to play the games at a high tempo.

“Everybody just comes together, gets better individually, and as a team,” Shiddiq said. 

RM will look to add another tally to the win column against the Quince Orchard Cougars at home Tuesday, Dec. 13.