RM golf team ends season with 16-2 record

On September 29th, for the first time in school history, Richard Montgomery Golf took home the first place trophy in Montgomery County division two. Senior captains Andy Bejean, Logan Abed, and Phil Colevas led their team through another successful year going 16-2 for the season. The team took their two defeats early in the season from Damascus and Magruder but came out on top in the final match to beat them both and end the season victorious.

For the senior class golf team, it was a long and difficult journey to finally put the team in division one. They won division three in 2012, played division two in 2013, and eventually placed third in 2014. Having one more year with the current seniors Colevas knew that they “could still have a chance to finally get a division two title.”

For Colevas the season isn’t over yet, his play was good enough to send him to the states competition on October 26-28 at the University of Maryland College Park Golf Course. Next year he plans to fulfill a long time dream of playing in college and go to Indiana Tech to compete for the Warriors. He also will be working on an Engineering degree.

“My parents have been a great help for me along the way and in doing so, it’s made me who I am today.” Colevas has been to state championships as a sophomore, junior, and now senior. He also attributes much of his success to the skills he gained from the IJGT and AJGA junior tours.

Juniors Morgan Link and Anika Yardi also made states individually. Which is a good sign as it means two quality players will be back again for one more year.” The loss of three great members of our team will set us back, but I also have confidence in the new batch of players coming in. There are a lot of talented players on the team, and next season will really give them the chance to shine, said Anika.”

Like Colevas, Link hopes to play golf in college when she leaves high school. “Yeah I definitely want to play next year. I hope to get a golf scholarship to college.”

“To be able to go out on top in my senior year and win the division is the best outcome you can hope for and it feels great for both me and my team,” said Abed. Both Abed and Bejean played for the team for three years.

Living in England for junior year, Bejean obviously did not play for RM but still practiced weekly. “I had a membership at a course and played most Saturdays and Sundays. I also got to take trips to Ireland and other places in the UK to play some really really nice courses.” The most prestigious venue he visited was Royal Dornach in Northern Scotland which is a “Championship Course ranked No.6 in the world and No.1 in Scotland by Golf Digest 2014.”

The team had their last practice of the season at Redgate Golf course on Sunday October 12th.

Captain is often the most important position on any team. “I’ve always stepped up with Philip when coach was late to practice or tournaments, we would rally up the team and get started and such and now as a captain it’s our responsibility to make sure we as a team are ready to win” said Abed. The three team captains definitely did their job in 2015.