Crash and Burn: Churchill Defeats RM 34-24

Rockets fall to 3-5

Danny Martella

The Rockets offensive line stays ready for the Bulldogs fierce pass rush.

Noah Stephenson, Sports Writer

RM Varsity football lost a close game to the Churchill Bulldogs 34-24 at home this past Friday in a hard-fought attempt to get back on track after the tough loss the week before at Walter Johnson. 

This game was one of the more highly-anticipated games of the season for multiple reasons. Not only was it the Homecoming game, but it was also the last home game of the regular season which meant we got to congratulate our seniors on all of their hard work throughout the years.

The RM students showed up in big numbers wearing their Gold Rush clothing to support the seniors and the rest of the team.

The Rockets got off to a fast start, scoring a quick touchdown to go up 7-0 early. Churchill responded with a score of their own and tied the game up at seven. As the first half was coming to an end, RM got into the red zone but failed to turn the long drive into points as time ran out before they could get into the end zone. After a hard-fought half, Churchill held the lead with a score of 14-10. The second half was just as competitive as the first, with each team playing their heart out until the very end. Both teams went back and forth until Churchill scored 14 unanswered points to pull away and win the game by 10. 

Senior defensive lineman Anthony Le said of the loss, “We came out, gave it our all and although we didn’t win, we played hard and stayed in it.” With the playoffs approaching, the loss hurts, but there remains a level of confidence in the RM locker room. “We know we didn’t play our best so we’re going to prepare for next week and try to finish the regular season strong,” Le said.

The Rockets fell to 3-5 on the season with one game to go at Rockville High School on Friday, October 28. Rockville will go into the matchup with a record of 4-4 after their convincing win over Northwood High School by a score of 38-6.