RM SGA’s new freshman officers outline their plans and goals

Helina Tamiru

The SGA coordinates various events related to the RM community, including pep rallies before sports games.

Class of 2026 SGA elections took place on Tuesday, Sept. 27. Results were revealed later in the week, introducing freshmen Rosie Clemans-Cope as president, Aida Hodjatzadeh as vice president, Kimberly Lee as secretary and Babitha Karre as treasurer. 

In the time leading up to elections, candidates had been hanging up posters around the school as well as creating TikTok videos and Instagram posts to share their goals and ideas. Students then heard the candidates’ recorded speeches, which explained why each of them would make the best president, vice president, treasurer or secretary. 

Many candidates this year emphasized student mental health and awareness. “We will work with the school administration to incorporate students’ experiences and ideas into new student-designed mental health resources so that no student has a mental health crisis alone,” Clemans-Cope said via interview. 

Lee stresses student involvement and clear communication. “I want to make it my goal to make sure that important information is able to get out to all students, so I will make sure to note down all important information discussed and share it with students in a simple and understandable format,” Lee said.

Many candidates also focused on fundraisers and spirit weeks, promising to organize school-wide events and fundraisers based on student input. “I would love to work on fundraisers that will help the school and help other organizations that are fighting for current major issues and create fun spirit weeks that students will actually want to participate in not because they are being told to, but rather because they want to,” Lee said.

The SGA sophomore class secretary, sophomore Maria Yu, offered some advice to the new officers. “Plan ahead as much as possible. You’re going to get busy and get caught up in school, work, extracurriculars and anything else eventually,” Yu said. “SGA is a priority and should be treated as one.”