SAGA club unites RM

Graphic by Matthew Adjodha

RM’s Sexuality and Gender Alliance Club (SAGA) provides a safe space for all students that want to learn more about the LGBTQ community and allows all members to create life-long friendships with students with similar interests.

Samiksha Mahashetty, Social Justice Writer

With this new generation, there has been a heightened value for inclusivity and acceptance among peer groups everywhere. At RM, the Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA) club works to make sure students feel supported and safe with their identities. 

The SAGA club at RM offers a variety of activities and serves as a safe space for the school’s LGBTQ+ community. While providing a safe haven and a source of fun, the club also educates its members and hosts discussions based on current events and activism efforts. “It’s just a safe space basically. It’s where people can vibe and have fun,” senior Sebastian Sylvester, president of SAGA, said.

The meetings typically begin with a slideshow containing enlightening material. Then, they segway into an informative lesson or an open discussion. These discussions tend to surround current events or occasions. For instance, during Transgender Awareness Month, they had meetings highlighting transgender individuals and their experiences. They also discuss how local and global politics affect the LGBTQ+ community.

“My favorite aspect is just watching how this current generation is, you know, what their fight is, what they believe, how they are advocating for themselves, and getting their voice out there,” Spanish teacher and SAGA sponsor Jason Colchao said. “I went to a private Catholic school, so my upbringing as a gay guy was very different than what I see from them so they inspire me every single day and I am just happy to be a part of what they do.” 

SAGA has done multiple projects, including meeting with the school’s counselors and painting a mural on the lower floors of the school.

A major goal of SAGA is to reach more students in hopes of attracting more members and educating as many people as possible about the LGBTQ+ community. “I would love to see, you know, just the SGA in general partner more with SAGA so that it becomes more of like a whole school thing,” Mr. Colchao said. “We had an advisory that talked about pronouns and everything, so that kind of thing is already happening. So just more of, like, an inclusivity with the entire student body.”